Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rear derailleur/get set clicking only when riding
I have followed some great youtube videos which were really helpful in setting my rear dérailleur perfectly. It was shifting as smooth as I would have hoped and was working perfectly. However, that is only when the bike is free standing. As soon as I start cycling it starts clicking again. I got my dad to adjust the barrel as I was cycling on a roller until the click had all but subsided. however, within a matter of minutes it was clicking away again. Can anyone suggest any ideas of whats going on here. I was wondering if the act of moving the handle bars could be pulling on the cable and sending the dérailleur off. Is this a possibility?

Thanks in advance of any help.

James
Hi James. A little more info on the bike would help. As you mention 'rollers', I'm guessing road bike? How old? What drivetrain parts? etc.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
New cable and housing would be the first thing. Check the derailleur hanger is bent. B screw adjusted properly. QR on correctly.
GO RIDE...
Hi guys,

The bike is indeed a road bike and I'm riding it on something similar to this (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-ghibli-parabolic-rollers/) at the moment.

The bike is only about six months old and hasn't done a great deal of mileage. 800km approx.

I haven't had chance to look at the model of the drive train but I know its a pretty low level shimano series.

JohnnyCO- I'm fairly happy that the hanger isn't bent. Which is the B screw? If it helps I followed this video carefully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkGBajG4TPc

Also what is QR?

thanks again for your help!

James
QR stands for Quick Release, it's the skewer that stops your wheel falling off the frame.

To tighten it, undo the lever and turn the other end in slightly (only slightly mind!) and put it back together. If you have to use tools to try and force the lever down you're doing it up too tight.
(12-03-2010, 11:52 AM)JonB Wrote:  QR stands for Quick Release, it's the skewer that stops your wheel falling off the frame.

To tighten it, undo the lever and turn the other end in slightly (only slightly mind!) and put it back together. If you have to use tools to try and force the lever down you're doing it up too tight.

Oh ok, I wasn't down with the lingo. Yeah that's on fine.

Possibly Related Threads...