Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur
* Now with 3D interactive instructions
Rear derailleur/get set clicking only when riding
I have followed some great youtube videos which were really helpful in setting my rear dérailleur perfectly. It was shifting as smooth as I would have hoped and was working perfectly. However, that is only when the bike is free standing. As soon as I start cycling it starts clicking again. I got my dad to adjust the barrel as I was cycling on a roller until the click had all but subsided. however, within a matter of minutes it was clicking away again. Can anyone suggest any ideas of whats going on here. I was wondering if the act of moving the handle bars could be pulling on the cable and sending the dérailleur off. Is this a possibility?

Thanks in advance of any help.

James
Hi James. A little more info on the bike would help. As you mention 'rollers', I'm guessing road bike? How old? What drivetrain parts? etc.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
New cable and housing would be the first thing. Check the derailleur hanger is bent. B screw adjusted properly. QR on correctly.
GO RIDE...
Hi guys,

The bike is indeed a road bike and I'm riding it on something similar to this (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-ghibli-parabolic-rollers/) at the moment.

The bike is only about six months old and hasn't done a great deal of mileage. 800km approx.

I haven't had chance to look at the model of the drive train but I know its a pretty low level shimano series.

JohnnyCO- I'm fairly happy that the hanger isn't bent. Which is the B screw? If it helps I followed this video carefully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkGBajG4TPc

Also what is QR?

thanks again for your help!

James
QR stands for Quick Release, it's the skewer that stops your wheel falling off the frame.

To tighten it, undo the lever and turn the other end in slightly (only slightly mind!) and put it back together. If you have to use tools to try and force the lever down you're doing it up too tight.
(12-03-2010, 03:52 PM)JonB Wrote:  QR stands for Quick Release, it's the skewer that stops your wheel falling off the frame.

To tighten it, undo the lever and turn the other end in slightly (only slightly mind!) and put it back together. If you have to use tools to try and force the lever down you're doing it up too tight.

Oh ok, I wasn't down with the lingo. Yeah that's on fine.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SRAM rear derailleur arm length jacke 0 1,922 06-28-2017, 04:52 AM
Last Post: jacke
  Road Bike Rear Derailleur Problem Lighttower 5 3,062 05-19-2017, 01:01 AM
Last Post: painkiller
  Rear derailleur rolling chain off It's your boy 0 4,219 06-05-2016, 04:36 PM
Last Post: It's your boy
  What would you use to replace a Suntour alpha 3000 rear derailleur? eab 5 5,073 08-09-2015, 04:33 PM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Replacing old rear derailleur eab 3 8,896 05-14-2015, 09:55 PM
Last Post: DaveM
  What if your new rear Dérailleur nordog 3 3,860 05-08-2015, 12:30 AM
  Rear Derailleur Suicide Into Spokes. fribbles 5 5,501 04-25-2015, 05:22 AM
  what Rear Derailleur hanger do i need pastaman06 0 4,517 04-24-2015, 08:36 AM
Last Post: pastaman06
  Rear Derailleur.. I have no idea what I'm doing jjc5 4 5,149 04-13-2015, 03:38 PM
Last Post: elmore leonard
  SRAM X9 - Rear Derailleur Pulley - Wobbles columkelly@yahoo.com 2 5,155 03-24-2015, 03:07 AM
Last Post: fredbyte