Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Next Power Climber brakes
First off I must say Hi. I am new to this forum. I like the layout here. Very friendly.

I was recently given a NEXT Power Climber by a friend, but there is one problem. It has no brakes, at all.
I am looking for some help finding all the brake parts for it. Maybe someone has an old set/kit they dont need, or know where I can get one.

I'm not an avid biker, this is actually my first bike in almost 10 years. Just want to fix it up and start riding the neighborhood again.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Try your local bicycle shop. They usually have random parts laying around that they could sell ya. They love hearing new people getting back into the sport. Take the bike with ya so they know what exactly you need.
GO RIDE...
(12-16-2010, 06:34 PM)WickedD365 Wrote:  First off I must say Hi. I am new to this forum. I like the layout here. Very friendly.

I was recently given a NEXT Power Climber by a friend, but there is one problem. It has no brakes, at all.
I am looking for some help finding all the brake parts for it. Maybe someone has an old set/kit they dont need, or know where I can get one.

I'm not an avid biker, this is actually my first bike in almost 10 years. Just want to fix it up and start riding the neighborhood again.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You said there are no brakes at all on them? Take a look at this PowerClimber and tell me if this is the same kind? And if you can take a picture of the place where the brakes are on the front and the back. Reason is because working with this model I do believe they used V-Brake system and the Cantilever system.

http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-995.html
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Thanks.
The bike does look like the one in your pics. I had a feeling that was the type system it ran.
I'll get some pics of it Monday when I go back over there for MNF.[/align]
Ok we can go from there.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Hey guys. Finally got back over there and got the bike. Got busy with Christmas and all.

This thing needs a little more work than I thought, but it's cool. I need a new project. Plan on swinging by a Wal-mart Confusedhiver: and looking at one this evening.

Here are a couple of pics of it.
[attachment=1785]
[attachment=1786]
[attachment=1787]
Ok well it is not a bad looking bike! As said above Wal-mart will probably only carry two of the things you are gonna need. Cable assembly kit (has all the shifter and the brake cables) and the brake pads. The other things you will need is the swing arms, center cable, and levers!

The swing arms /center pull /accessories/ etc.....
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=MTB+cantilever+brake+set&_sacat=See-All-Categories
I pasted link so you could make the choice.

The brake levers....
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=mtb+brake+lever&_sacat=0&_odkw=next+power+climber&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
Again pasted link so you could make the choice.

NOW as said above if you wish to go cheaper SEE a BIKE shop, as they may have those parts used and at a much lower price!!! I tried amazon.com first but they didn't list what I was searching for. Ebay these days are seemingly going higher and higher on prices, which by going to places like amazon.com, jensonusa.com and others seem to be putting a hurting on them. Ooops sorry I was babbling lol.
Thanks, and you already answered my next question with the links. If I could use v brakes on front and rear because in your pic you had cantilever on the rear. The bikes at Wal-Mart had v on both. Which would you recomend?

I plan on hitting up a local bike shop in the next day or so. They show to have a huge boneyard on their site, so I should be good their. If not I have about $40 in Paypal money to play with on the internet.
Like you said, eBay is getting ridiculous now though.

Next question. I almost grabbed a chain, but I don't know the gear gap. Anyone know what that is?
ooh check craigslist where u live. u can get a bike for $ 50 dollars
http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/bik/2133009398.html
(12-28-2010, 04:05 PM)tino Wrote:  ooh check craigslist where u live. u can get a bike for $ 50 dollars
http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/bik/2133009398.html

Umm not a bad idea at all!!! Thanks tino! This way you got plenty of spare parts which ever bike you choose to ride?
Checked local Craigslist. Nothing worth messing with. Mostly kids bikes.

I did go hit up a local bike shop and talked to the guy there. He had some old bikes I could have gotten everything off of, but we both decided that I should just buy new aluminum V brakes. Better in the long run. He was even nice enough to go lower than what I showed him on eBay.

I have a full setup coming in. 2 sets of brakes, 2 levers, cables, and a new chain. He said I should be about $30-40ish for it all. The brakes themselves I found would have ran that, let alone the rest. Should have it all tomorrow.

The bike shop was awesome. The owner/employee Matthew is an amazing guy. Very knowledgeable and friendly.
The store is called Sprockets and it's in Porter, TX. Here's a pic of his card for reference.

[attachment=1788]
Awesome! Glad to hear an LBS set you up real good! Most Bikes shops are very knowledgeable and fair on prices. Package deal like he gave you is about what I would pay Smile .
I like that name. I've been trying to think of a name for my bike shop.
(12-29-2010, 11:42 PM)Jordan300 Wrote:  I like that name. I've been trying to think of a name for my bike shop.

Yeah, it's real simple and to the point. The shop is like that too. Just a big open room with bikes and boards, and a small work area in the back.
I'll get a pic when I pick up my parts tonight.

IDK if your into games, but you could spin off "Gears of War". Call it Gear of Cycling.
Finally finished it over New Year's weekend. Just been busy and kept forgetting to get a pic.

I put V brakes on front and rear, and stripped all the stickers. I need to give it a good bath, but it's been to cold to want to go outside, yet use the hose.

[attachment=1829]

Again, thank you guys for your help. This is one of the nicest forums I have been on in a while. Very nice/friendly community.
Congrats and Good Job, D365! After you give it a bath and fresh lube, get it Dirty!
One thing that you may want to check - It's hard to tell from the pic - Compress your rear suspension fully and make sure that the swingarm doesn't hit the bottom of the seatpost. I would recommend adjusting the saddle height to where you need it and cutting off any length of post that still protrudes from the frame.

Another pointer if you don't mind - I'm on a roll !! Smile
You have the brake levers pointed straight out front, it looks like. If you straddle the bike and rest your hands on the bar, then extend your fingers out in line with your arms, that is close to where you want the levers. Probably 30 - 40 degrees below horizontal. The levers will be more natural to grab and may save you some wrist pain.

Thumbs up!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
That bike looks sweet without the stickers on it! Nice job!
Very nice job!!!!!! It dies look cool with out the stickers Smile
Yeah, I still got a few things to do to it.
Adjust shifter cables, maybe replace them.
I planned on cutting the post. It looks bad. My friend took the original post with seat for his bike.
I will try the handle adjustment. Sounds nice.

I haven't gotten to RIDE it yet. I put the brakes on and cruised around my building adjusting them... If it warms up this weekend, I'll play with it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-14-2014, 07:00 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET

09-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Last Post: nutpants

01-04-2010, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Bill