Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Missing Serial Number
I have a question that is not really repair related, but and important thing in regards to bike security. I have an 1985 Peugeot I built and I have looked and looked for a serial number and cannot find one. I did find a website that showed where it was and I could not find it. It appears it should be on the bottom bracket and perhaps there was also a paper one.

The question is this: Is it possible for me to get a SN engraved on there for security purposes? And, if so is that something a LBS can do or do I need to go to an engraving shop?
Apparently some Peugeots had serial numbers stamped on an aluminium plate. Maybe yours has come off ?

Is there evidence of "rivets" or holes under the bottom bracket?

I have seen other makes with numbers stamped in various places including the rear wheel "dropouts". In the UK some people have their "zip" code (postal code) stamped on their frames to help with security.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
With a dremel or other home engraving tool you can do this yourself pretty easily. Make sure you actually get into the metal, but don't go too deep. Then put some touch up paint over it to avoid rust. LBS might have the tool, but you'd need to ask around.

The serial number could be anything. The key is having it documented (preferably photos as well) so you can 'prove' you own the bike if is was ever stolen and retrieved.
Thanks for the help. I do wonder if there was some rust that took it off as there is primer paint on the bottom of the BB. That is one possible explanation. I will find a tool and engrave something in there.

Just wanted to add that with what Dave said about Dremels you can use this attachment
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000302Y8

which I plan on getting myself.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Also some bike clubs code your bike and register the code number with the police (in Germany: the ADFC).