Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Help removing lockring
I have the lockring removal too and it still won't budge. It does go off going counterclockwise, right? I have already destroyed one lockring removal tool. any help is greatly appreciated.
I'm assuming you've watched the video on this site? I couldn't get mine to budge until I bought the park chain whip (cheaper ones were too short) and an adjustable wrench that is at least as long as the park tool. The other piece of advice I can offer is to put your quick release skewer through your wheel and lock ring tool and screw it down to keep the long ring tool from slipping out of the grooves. Good luck!
I believe this is a freewheel. Put the lockring tool in a vise and the wheel on top. Hang over the top of the wheel and spin the wheel counter clock. Lockring tool stays locked in the vise. Might have to put all you have into it. Before you start you might want spray some penetrating oil around the lock ring first to assist loosening it. Good luck
GO RIDE...
(12-21-2010, 12:22 PM)dave_sd Wrote:  I'm assuming you've watched the video on this site? I couldn't get mine to budge until I bought the park chain whip (cheaper ones were too short) and an adjustable wrench that is at least as long as the park tool. The other piece of advice I can offer is to put your quick release skewer through your wheel and lock ring tool and screw it down to keep the long ring tool from slipping out of the grooves. Good luck!

yes, I have watched the video,tried penetrating oil and hot water to try and loosen it and still nothing. do you think a longer chainwhip would really make a difference? thanks for the advice.
a long wrench makes all the difference, i tried using a wrench that was only a few inches shorter and nothing moved, i use a long torque wrench with a long socket (so it fits over the axle, stops the tool being destroyed too)
(12-22-2010, 07:56 AM)Darrenjs92ni Wrote:  a long wrench makes all the difference, i tried using a wrench that was only a few inches shorter and nothing moved, i use a long torque wrench with a long socket (so it fits over the axle, stops the tool being destroyed too)

thanks. what size socket would I use with the lockring tool?
The longer the wrench the more torque you can generate. The park tool isn't flimsy either so you don't have to worry about it bending while you use it.
Quote:thanks. what size socket would I use with the lockring tool?

Depends on your tool, my cassette tool is 21mm and my free wheel tool is 24mm. I just noticed my cassette tool is quite a bit longer than the free wheel one, so I probably wouldn’t have to use a long socket on it. I wrecked my free wheel tool back before I had the long socket, I use to have it sticking half way out so that I could reach it with a normal socket.

The wrench I use is about 45cm long, you could just put a bit of bar on the end of a shorter one to lengthen it. Longer wrench = more mechanical advantage, or something like that.
(12-22-2010, 01:35 PM)dave_sd Wrote:  The longer the wrench the more torque you can generate. The park tool isn't flimsy either so you don't have to worry about it bending while you use it.

Park tool, ha the price of their tools, the wrench i use was less than £20 from LIDL made to german standards, but the torque on is 28-210Nm which is nearly useless for bikes, apart from removing cassettes and freewheels.
if i read this right, someone used a torque wrench to loosen something? the long length of a torque wrench seems ideal for this, however i believe it can damage the torque wrench. a better idea would be to use a long breaker bar, or a cheater pipe of some sort. then there's always the old indian trick of hooking 2 combination wrenches together, but you can really pinch your hand (or worse) if they slip.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
Put the removal tool in a vise then turn the wheel upside down, put it on the lockring removal tool then turn the wheel counter clockwise Wink . Worked everytime for me.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!

Possibly Related Threads...