Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Lever on drop handlebars
where is the best place to put a lever on drop handlebars?
You talking like ones on road bikes? If so the same place they were unless you have something hybrid ?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
The standard placement of normal levers on drop bars is for the tip of the lever to be lined up with a line extending from the flat portion at the bottom of the drop. But now that more levers are designed for your hands to sit on top of the hoods, some people move the levers up a little higher.

On a lot of fixie and single speed conversions, you see people putting levers up on the upper flats of the bar as well.

But the "best" place to put the levers is where your hands are going to be. If you often ride with your hands where they have to move in order to hit the brakes are a bad idea. Takes a lot longer to start braking and means you loose some control (by taking your hand off the bar) just when you need it most.
Dave knows Suicide Levers. I can tell. Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Well, the aptly names "suicide levers" where ones that gave you braking from the top flats by connecting a long piece to the normal levers. I wouldn't recommend those to anyone. Do they even still sell those things?

What I do see a lot of is people putting small straight bar levers on the top flat part of the bar. They work fine except if you're riding in the drops and then you have to reach up to use them.

The other alternative is cross-top levers which add a second set of levers to the top flats that work in conjunction with the normal drop bar levers. Like the "suicide levers" except they actually work.
I have those cross-top levers on my FELT and I love them. They make life so much better on the road. Especially when you start driving through town with lots of stops. I recommend adding them if you do riding in any busy areas.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-21-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: Jesper

06-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Last Post: davepen