Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rear Tyre Rubbing on Left chainstay
Hi All

I'm a cycling novice as an adult, I have bought a new mountain bike that isn't very good. I knew this when i bought it but i haven't got much money and just wanted something comfortable and sturdy that would stand up to whizzing along the canal to work twice a day.

The problem I have is with the back wheel. Within 5 minutes of riding it was rubbing on the left chainstay, so I walked the bike home with my tail between my legs, flipped the bike, unscrewed the bolts then realigned the tyre and screwed them back in. Then I went out again and the same thing happened, for 5 minutes it was fine but as soon as i tried to build up some speed the tyre was rubbing on the frame once more. I have repeated this process every day since Xmas day, and thought it was about time I seek some proper advice.

Can anyone help? Thank you in advance for any replies and as I say I am a novice to try and keep jargon to a minimum.

Jordan
Try using a lock washer between nut and the outer chainstay which may help keep it in place. Is there any way you could post a picture of it after it slipped?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Since it's a new bike, I'd take it back to the shop and have them look at it. It could be a stripped nut or axle. Or if there's too much paint on the frame where the nut tightens down it can slip. (Or maybe you just aren't getting it tight enough.) Or as bill said, a lock washer (or better yet a "toothed" washer than has little ridges on the inside to bite into the frame ) may help. But this isn't normal so get it checked.

Possibly Related Threads...