Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur
* Now with 3D interactive instructions
Shimano RX100 8sp Cleaning
After a few years of very little use, both Left and Right 97-98? RX100 shifters struggle to to shift(mainly the smaller inner lever-it moves freely but doesn't engage).I haven't done enough miles to wear out the shifters. A little internet searching has pointed to the probable cause which is the grease/lubricant turning to "earwax". My plan was to soak the shifters in a strong degreaser and then blow out the rubbish/earwax/old grease with a high pressure airline. If that cures it then great.

Q1) will soaking it in degreaser and blowing out the rubbish damage the mechanism??
Q2)Should the above method work, what lubricant/grease is recommended?(im from the UK)

Many thanks for any replies.
This can be true and would not harm it , but try replacing the cables! They get old and break down!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I would WD40 (or similar) the mechanism and also strip out the inner cables and clean them.
Replace with new grease after which helps to keep out water.
Some shifters have a removable cover which will give better access to the internals.
[font=Trebuchet MS]Ride hard or ride home alone![/font]
Thanks for the replies. In the end I used copious amounts of TF2- which is a Teflon based spray.The spray eventually cleaned out the mechanism/s and also left a teflon coating on the parts. I also cleaned and lubed the cables, chain and derailleurs and everything now works perfect.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cleaning STI shifters j beede 2 6,334 05-13-2010, 03:35 AM
Last Post: j beede