Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

7-speed shifter with 6-speed sprocket hub
First of all, since this is my first post, hello everyone!

As the title says, I'm wondering about whether a 7-speed shifter will work with an older 6-speed sprocket hub. I could get a 6-speed shifter but sooner or later the sprockets would need replacing so I'm wondering if the spacing between the sprockets would work for both. Right now the bike is using a friction shifter but I'd really like to replace it with an indexed shifter.

From what I could gather from another thread ( http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-470.html ) an 8-speed shifter would work with 7-speed sprockets but I'm not sure if this is the case for my particular question and I couldn't find answers, especially considering how old 6-speed sprockets are and how most newer bikes have 7-speeds.

Thank you in advance.
Read this carefully and it has the information regarding what will work with what.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

Shimano 7 doesn't work with Shimano 8 but does work with Campag' 8.
Your friction shifter will work with most setups but gets harder to use the higher the number of sprockets. Needs finer movement between sprockets.

The main criteria is the sprocket spacing (sprocket pitch) and the cable pull with regard to "indexing".
There are various things that mix and match such as I use a Campag' 10 speed shifter with Shimano rear derailleur and 8 speed cassette. - matches perfectly.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
Cheers for that. Guess I'll need to get my measuring tools out since the sprockets are an off-brand (the bike's really crap and cheap and I salvaged it from a friend's house where it had laid covered in animal hair, rust, grease and dust for the past four years but by now I've spent so much time restoring it for my girlfriend that it has become a labour of love. Also, it's pretty and golden Smile To get an idea about how bad it was, the old brakes and levers were made of plastic. Which I've replaced but my work is far from done.)

Possibly Related Threads...