Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
Fulcrum 7 freehub bearings
Hi,

The outside cartridge bearing in the freehub body of my Fulcrum 7 rear wheel has gone bad (the actual wheel bearings are OK as is the inner freehub bearing). The freehub body is the same in the Fulcrum 5 as the 7, according to the Fulcrum technical manual http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/repository/file/en/Spares2009-ROAD-16-12-08.pdf

Can these cartridge bearings be replaced? The tech manual lists the freehub body (including bearings, spring and pawls) as a single part R5-019. So they don't list the bearings separately. Plenty of places sell the freehub body for about $80 so I'm guessing a lot of them fail.

Fortunately I just bought a pair of Ksyrium SL's so I can ride those till I fix the Fulcrum!

Thanks,
Andy
(01-16-2011, 06:31 AM)andy_c Wrote:  Hi,

The outside cartridge bearing in the freehub body of my Fulcrum 7 rear wheel has gone bad (the actual wheel bearings are OK as is the inner freehub bearing). The freehub body is the same in the Fulcrum 5 as the 7, according to the Fulcrum technical manual http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/repository/file/en/Spares2009-ROAD-16-12-08.pdf

Can these cartridge bearings be replaced? The tech manual lists the freehub body (including bearings, spring and pawls) as a single part R5-019. So they don't list the bearings separately. Plenty of places sell the freehub body for about $80 so I'm guessing a lot of them fail.

Fortunately I just bought a pair of Ksyrium SL's so I can ride those till I fix the Fulcrum!

Thanks,
Andy
not easily - the tools to complete the job successfully will cost a LOT more than the $80-
Nigel
(01-19-2011, 06:55 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  

Thanks,
Andy
not easily - the tools to complete the job successfully will cost a LOT more than the $80-

Hi Andy, Nigel,

Any luck fixing the bearings? I have the same problem and need to replace the freehub.

Nigel, any idea where I can find the tools (and which ones I need) to do this? Would be massively appreciated!

Thanks, Tim

Thanks,
Andy

This task is easier than you would initially think. The hub contains two bearings. One of which is secured by a 'c' clip, the other more visible one can be easily removed. They are separated by a floating shim. I took the hub to a tool shop where they pushed out both bearings at once with a press for £4 however, because of the retaining c clip you are left with the outer case of the bearing. Remove the c clip using c clip pliers and then tap out the outer bearing case. Buy new bearings. Install. Job done

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What freehub do I have? juan82 3 2,884 08-01-2015, 12:34 AM
Last Post: painkiller