Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Tektro R559 review
My wife got me "Tektro R559 Nutted Mount Version Dual-Pivot Calipers" brakes for Christmas to replace my scary oem Dia-Comp side pulls on my Schwinn World Tourist (mid - 80's).

The Dia-Comps were pretty good in their day, but compared to modern V-brakes, there were terrifying.

The Tektro R559 work incredibly well. She got them from Harris; the only place I could find that with long bolts to fit my unmodified fork.

The only issue that I ran into is that the cable on the R559 is on the opposite side from the Dia-Comp brakes. In the front, this resulted in better cable routing. In the back, I mounted the brake in front of the rear seat stays to preserve the use of the brazed on cable stops along the top tube.

I am very pleased with the Tektro R559 brakes - along with the Tektron Eclipse levers that I installed early last summer.
Nigel
Great review, nfmisso! I wish there were more on here (maybe I can contribute).
I have always been pleased with the cost/performance ratio for Tektro products. I have a regular customer whose bike I often find myself having to test-ride. He has the R556's paired with Tiagra ST's on the bar and I think it feels VERY nice. I'm guessing that the R559's are the update to the R556's? Long Reach for 27 to 700 swap?
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(01-19-2011, 07:52 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Great review, nfmisso! I wish there were more on here (maybe I can contribute).
I have always been pleased with the cost/performance ratio for Tektro products. I have a regular customer whose bike I often find myself having to test-ride. He has the R556's paired with Tiagra ST's on the bar and I think it feels VERY nice. I'm guessing that the R559's are the update to the R556's? Long Reach for 27 to 700 swap?
Thank you.

R559 being an update of the R556 - that is my understanding from the Harris Cycle website. They are long reach, currently I have 27" (ISO 630mm) wheels, but want to be able to go to 700c (ISO 622mm) in the future.

But at the present I do not see an advantage of switching to 700c. A few months back, I acquired a set of very nice 27" wheels with sealed bearings that are very well made. And I have a back up set that I recently rebuilt.
Nigel
B b but, you could shave 18 grams by ,,, oh - nevermind. Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(01-19-2011, 08:16 PM)RobAR Wrote:  B b but, you could shave 18 grams by ,,, oh - nevermind. Smile

I don't understand this expensive infatuation with the weight of the bike either. The World Tourist was made by Giant in Taiwan; the frame is low carbon steel; very rigid and no light weight. My commute is flat except for one underpass and one overpass. On the level, the bike is fast, very fast; though I am a bit slower accelerating than some.

My priorities for a bike are:
  1. frame geometry to suit me
  2. frame stiffness
  3. strong brakes
  4. reliable
weight is not even on the list... My World Tourist meets that list very well; now that I have the great brakes my wife gave me.
Nigel
Oh Nigel we definitely gotta get that thing suited up with panniers (front and back) cargo trailer with a barbecue, we'll make Yehuda Moon sooo proud of us Big Grin Wink . Lol I am just joking. I just looked those up and other then the minor job of rerouting your brake cables they do look really nice Big Grin .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Hi,

It sounds like these are good brakes. I'm intrested in them due to there long reach, would fit my old road bike. However I'm curious about the if they will fit the frame. Do you know the diameter and length of the screw that holds them to the frame?

Thanks,
Martin

(01-19-2011, 01:11 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  My wife got me "Tektro R559 Nutted Mount Version Dual-Pivot Calipers" brakes for Christmas to replace my scary oem Dia-Comp side pulls on my Schwinn World Tourist (mid - 80's).

The Dia-Comps were pretty good in their day, but compared to modern V-brakes, there were terrifying.

The Tektro R559 work incredibly well. She got them from Harris; the only place I could find that with long bolts to fit my unmodified fork.

The only issue that I ran into is that the cable on the R559 is on the opposite side from the Dia-Comp brakes. In the front, this resulted in better cable routing. In the back, I mounted the brake in front of the rear seat stays to preserve the use of the brazed on cable stops along the top tube.

I am very pleased with the Tektro R559 brakes - along with the Tektron Eclipse levers that I installed early last summer.
(06-11-2013, 06:01 AM)masb Wrote:  ... Do you know the diameter and length of the screw that holds them to the frame?

Hi Martin;

It is a standard M6 thread, and the same length as the screw on the Dia-comp.
Nigel
(01-19-2011, 08:16 PM)RobAR Wrote:  B b but, you could shave 18 grams by ,,, oh - nevermind. Smile
I get asked once in awhile mostly by bigger, chubby, or big boned people for lack of better words. " would it be better to take the weight off me or the bicycle?" I can be a weight weenie if the price is right, I cannot hide that, But fit and comfort come first for sure. price is not always the factor. back to my answer I simply say this: No matter what you weigh you simply expend more energy carrying a 40 pound garbage can to the curb than a 30 pound can to the curb, so take it off the bike would be the answer. not that losing a few pounds would be totally bad too.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...