Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Lockrings don't fit
On every single or fix conversion I try the lockrings don't fit. I get the lockrings that come with the kit. The lockring I removed from the cassette was a suntour. Does that mean I have to use a suntour lockring with the cog? If so, where can I get a suntour lockring? The lockrings that come with the kit are either too small or have a different thread.
We need to understand a bit better what exactly you are trying to do.

For a "fix gear" you need a hub made specifically for that (usually). The lockring that comes with the cog should fit. I believe there is only one threading for a fix cog lockring. But that lockring is completely different than what comes on a cassette lockring.

If you're converting a cassette multi-speed hub to a single speed using a conversion kit, I think you should be able to use either the lockring from the original cassette or from the kit. There may be different threadings, so whatever fits your hub is the one to use.

Are you sure you have a suntour "cassette" and not a freewheel? There was a suntour version of the cassette system. I thought that on theirs there was not a lockring per-se but the last cog unscrewed off the freehub body. But I may be wrong about that.

fix, single speed, freewheel, cassette, lockring, etc. are all specific terms with different meanings. I don't know what you're familiar with and what you're not so I won't go into detailed descriptions. But it's hard to help without knowing exactly what you're describing. None of this stuff is very complicated, but hard to communicate without using the right terms.
Maybe something here will help.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/fixed-hubs.html
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(01-20-2011, 02:26 PM)DaveM Wrote:  We need to understand a bit better what exactly you are trying to do.

For a "fix gear" you need a hub made specifically for that (usually). The lockring that comes with the cog should fit. I believe there is only one threading for a fix cog lockring. But that lockring is completely different than what comes on a cassette lockring.

If you're converting a cassette multi-speed hub to a single speed using a conversion kit, I think you should be able to use either the lockring from the original cassette or from the kit. There may be different threadings, so whatever fits your hub is the one to use.

Are you sure you have a suntour "cassette" and not a freewheel? There was a suntour version of the cassette system. I thought that on theirs there was not a lockring per-se but the last cog unscrewed off the freehub body. But I may be wrong about that.

fix, single speed, freewheel, cassette, lockring, etc. are all specific terms with different meanings. I don't know what you're familiar with and what you're not so I won't go into detailed descriptions. But it's hard to help without knowing exactly what you're describing. None of this stuff is very complicated, but hard to communicate without using the right terms.

Thanks. So I can't just convert an old road bike to a fixed without getting a new hub?
If the bike has a freewheel (not a cassette) there is a way. In short, you use the lockring from an old bottom bracket as the lockring for the fix cog. I wouldn't recommend running this set up without hand brakes. Because both the cog and lockring thread on the same direction, there is a real risk of them unscrewing when you try to stop by backpedalling and you would lose all ability to stop. But it is a quick "easy" way to set up a fix.

Here's an article that gives more details. Linking to a cached version as the original site seems to be down.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:PYHMlM-EuZAJ:www.cicle.org/cicle_content/pivot/entry.php%3Fid%3D1572+harv+fix+gear+oven&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
(01-21-2011, 02:19 PM)DaveM Wrote:  If the bike has a freewheel (not a cassette) there is a way. In short, you use the lockring from an old bottom bracket as the lockring for the fix cog. I wouldn't recommend running this set up without hand brakes. Because both the cog and lockring thread on the same direction, there is a real risk of them unscrewing when you try to stop by backpedalling and you would lose all ability to stop. But it is a quick "easy" way to set up a fix.

Here's an article that gives more details. Linking to a cached version as the original site seems to be down.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:PYHMlM-EuZAJ:www.cicle.org/cicle_content/pivot/entry.php%3Fid%3D1572+harv+fix+gear+oven&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
thanks. I think I;m starting to get it. Can you differentiate between a bike with freewheel and one with cassette simply by looking at it?
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-01-2022, 05:13 AM
Last Post: Jesper

07-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Last Post: DragonWriter