Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Broken Rear Hub. How to remove cassette - freewheel
Hi. I tried so many times to remove my freewheel. I used a freewheel tool (bought from local shop) and as I was trying to unlock the freewheel nothing happened.

I put some anti rust spray, let it rest for some hours and tried again. As I was trying again to unlock it nothing happened. I did the same process 2-3 times (oil spray - rest - force to unlock) and suddenly I got the hub into 2 pieces.

Now I have to buy another rear hub. My question is How am I suppose to remove the broken hub piece from the cassette - freewheel? I want to keep the "good" think.

Thanks in advance.

[Image: DSC00186_b.jpg] [Image: DSC00187_b.jpg]

[Image: DSC00188_b.jpg] [Image: DSC00189_b.jpg]

[Image: DSC00190_b.jpg]
Welcome to the forums.

Ok to start to the point I have some good news and bad news. I'll start with the good news. Your freewheel still can be separated from the "remaining part" of the hub. All I need to see is a picture of the front of the freewheel to make sure you do not have an early version that you have to remove the first gear (smallest gear).

Bad news the rear hub is pretty much garbage, as well as the spokes and rest of the wheel you took that off of. I am gonna guess this freewheel you are trying to get is to replace another. Like it is a spare one of an older bike?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Hi. Sorry for the un-welcoming first message but I'm a little bit "off-limits" with tha crap 2 days now..

I had a MTB at my garage a few years and I decided to re-build, make it singlespeed it and keep only the good parts from this.
I removed everything from the bike to check the frame. It was ok so I decided to continue with the rebuild project. Everything went out except the cassette.

I have already renew (sand and paint): the frame, the hole front wheel (rim,spokes,nipples,hub), fork, and handbar. And already ordered (some of them bought from local shops), all of the components that needed.(grips, brake cables, seat, pedals, chain, singlespeed crankset, singlespeed cassette kit, tyres, tubes, etc.)

Now that the rear hub broke, I only need from this the freewheel for the conversion, and I must bought new hub and spokes (thankfull the rim it's ok). The cassette is useless for me and beside this it's crap.

[Image: DSC00191_b.jpg] [Image: DSC00192_b.jpg] [Image: DSC00193_b.jpg]

** The bike was SHIMANO something.. After all these years it was very difficult to found out the excact model.
Sorry to hear this, but at least it broke while you where working on it and not riding it.
Have fun and just enjoy the ride
(01-20-2011, 10:53 AM)FredS Wrote:  Sorry to hear this, but at least it broke while you where working on it and not riding it.
Hopefully, because I've already done very much work and I have to make a lot more. + The money that I have spend..

I guess that I'm lucky in this case.. Wink
I think you got it! That's a freewheel to which I am pretty sure of???
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(01-23-2011, 02:27 AM)Bill Wrote:  I think you got it! That's a freewheel to which I am pretty sure of???
ok. I think I haven't got the point here.

This piece is:

1. (3-total pieces) 1st: the cassette(cogs) 2nd: 1/4 of the rear hub 3rd: a freewheel.
    Orrr
  2. (2-total pieces) 1st: a cassette with "build-in" freewheel 2nd: 1/4 of the rear hub

If it's no1 Is it possible to remove the freewheel and use it in a new single cog?
Sorry I have misunderstood you in this thread. What I was wandering first has the hub been removed? Shown in the picture with the blue arrows.
No, the hub is still there.. After the hub broke, I only cut the spokes.

The 1/4 broken part of the hub is still there. Sad
Ok thats what I was thinking. Take the broken hub piece put it in a bench mounted vise tightly. Then take your removal tool and remove it. You may need a long handle wrench for leverage.
Thanks mate.. I'll find a vice and take it out..
Thanks.
Wow. Good effort there.

I'd second what Bill's posted, but make sure it's a proper vice with a LOT of clamping force or what's left of the hub may just spin. If it does, try and bend the flanges so you have two parallel flat spots to crush in the vice, should stop it spinning. You will probably have to clamp the flange and force the freewheel over (possibly assisted by heat from a blowtorch, but be CAREFUL if you do that).

To be honest though, any hub that disintegrates like that when you try and remove a freewheel probably wasn't safe to ride on anyway.

Oh and if it's still seized I'd suggest spraying it with Hope Sh*t-Shifter and leaving overnight. That stuff's very good at cleaning and I'm pretty sure Hope have a distributor for mainland Europe.

Possibly Related Threads...