Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Stock Bottom Bracket removal
As the final stage of my 1985 Fuji del Rey restoration I decided to do the bottom bracket. The wheels and head were done.

I found the hook lock ring very tight. I soaked it several times with Liquid wrench few days before to loosen it up. The hook wrench just was not enough. I finally got it off using a chisel and a 5lb mini sledge. That too took a few whacks and the lock ring notches got damaged. The bearings were loose not caged. So I tried to get the other side off using the wrench so that I could reload the bearings . Not even the hammer could budge it.
This the tool for the stock crank side.

http://www.parktool.com/product/crank-and-bottom-bracket-wrench-1

Tried getting caged bearings as putting in loose bearings from the opposite side and the seal was just impractical. Also wanted a new notch lock ring.
Both not available, however the dealer had Shimano UN54 sealed bracket of correct size (68X127) and that was a good choice.

He had a heavy duty removal tool that I have not seen anywhere and he too had to use a big hammer. The tool bolted through the bb and held the large attached wrench in place than a few whacks with a hammer .
There was not much rust they just were very tight, mostly.
It was similar to the below tool but more heavy duty.Anyone see any special tools for this. I could not find anything much besides bb wrenches .

http://www.bikebling.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=Hozan-BB-FixedCup-Tool

BTW I was surprised at the UN54 tightening torque figures 0f 400-600 inch lbs. My Motorcycle heads are only 300 inch lbs. WOW.
Never Give Up!!!
Good job on the DelRey, George! The Shimano cartridge BB was a good move IMO. It looks like a sweet rider. Down-tube shifters! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, baby!!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Thanks for the good comments. RobAR, I know you know your stuff. I was a little doubtful about the plastic part ( there are aluminum replacements). But if it aint broken I'll leave it.

Ye I thought that the UN54 BB is a good way to go. BTW I got the bike for $75 and by the time I was finished I put another $200 into it. But now its my way. :-)

The shifters work fine and unlike the SIS they do not need to be readjusted for cable stretch.Do not know if I'd like the new shifters in the brake levers. Seems awkward.

This is a more updated photo with new seat and more. See how many differences you can spot:-))
Never Give Up!!!
You can make a low cost version of the Hozan tool. Get the basic fixed cup tool like the Park HCW4. Get a short piece of threaded rod and a few large washers and two nuts. The rod goes through the BB shell. The washers need to be big enough to overlap the outside of the shell and will clamp the Park tool onto the cup so that it won't slip off when you apply force. $5 version of an $130 tool.
Ye, I thought about doing something like that with a long bolt(threaded rod is good too) and a two washers a short piece of pipe over the bolt (like a sleeve)and than tighten nut going through BB to to hold wrench tight, to work more like this tool. This would sandwich the cup from both sides without bearing on the opposite bb side.

Now I got the sealed BB so I am good with that. Maybe next project.

Actually I build something like that to do the bearings on my motorcycle wheels.

Any ideas how to build a better hook wrench.:-))
Never Give Up!!!
(01-24-2011, 01:40 AM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Any ideas how to build a better hook wrench.:-))

Take a pair of channel locks and grind a tooth on one face to go into the cutout on the lock ring. Then you can get much more clamping force on that tooth and it won't slip out so easily.

Good idea adding a pipe to the BB tool!
Ye thats a thought. Lots of grinding. Maybe large curved jaw vise grip pliers? If there was a source for replacing the lock rings the hammer and chisel work good. But notches get damaged, ring is still reusable but ugly.

BTW I have seen internally threaded sleeves for connecting threaded rods, so that may work good too.

I have seen some nice DIY tools on this site but mostly for head work.

This looks like a good Un54 BB tool as you can use a 1/2" torque wrench with it as final step.

http://www.bikebling.com/FSA-ISIS-Shimano-Bottom-Bracket-Tool-p/fsa-isis-bb-tool.htm

This site has some nice tools.

http://www.bikebling.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=bottom+bracket+tools&Search.x=11&Search.y=11
Never Give Up!!!
Nice Bike same color as mine but a bigger frame. The vallite quad butted frames are great, you will love how lively the bike rides and just wants to sprint. Good luck....
The wheels are good, but cones near impossible to find. Next time they need overhaul I'll just buy new wheels.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels/630.html
Never Give Up!!!
(01-04-2014, 06:35 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Nice Bike same color as mine but a bigger frame. The vallite quad butted frames are great, you will love how lively the bike rides and just wants to sprint. Good luck....
The wheels are good, but cones near impossible to find. Next time they need overhaul I'll just buy new wheels.

Ditto on the ride, after trying it out the deal was sealed.
"As soon as you see something, you already start to intellectualize it. As soon as you intellectualize something, it is no longer what you saw". Shunryu Suzuki-roshi (1905-1971)
(01-04-2014, 06:35 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Nice Bike same color as mine but a bigger frame. The vallite quad butted frames are great, you will love how lively the bike rides and just wants to sprint. Good luck....

We should have all the parts in by the middle of next week (1-29-14) for our 85 Fuji Del Rey rebuild. Here is a list of what's going back on the bike( I know this may seem overkill but I just turned 60 YO and retired. This will probably be my forever ride and wanted it a certain way, my waySmile )> Nitto Talux stem...Nitto S83 seat post...Nitto Classic drop bar..Brooks Cambium C17 seat , Slate color....Yokozuma Premium Cables and housing..Sugino XD Triple crankset 46 36 24...Velo Orange touring pedals...NOS Suntour XD triple front derailleur...Tektro TRP RRL Brake levers dark gray alloy...Rivendell Silver Barcons...so, maybe we'll switch out the brakes at some point and even get it re-painted to original w/ decals...dunno yet. If I can put it all together and make it work there will be pics coming also. Any comments or suggestions are welcome and thanks for looking..
"As soon as you see something, you already start to intellectualize it. As soon as you intellectualize something, it is no longer what you saw". Shunryu Suzuki-roshi (1905-1971)
Excellent choices, I especially like the shifters and cables. In terms of 700c (622mm) wheels, your frame should quite easily take a 130mm rear hub, in case you'd like more selection. There are also guys who will gladly rebuild your existing hubs with new rims & spokes.
(01-26-2014, 06:13 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  Excellent choices, I especially like the shifters and cables. In terms of 700c (622mm) wheels, your frame should quite easily take a 130mm rear hub, in case you'd like more selection. There are also guys who will gladly rebuild your existing hubs with new rims & spokes.

Maybe on that. It will accept a 7 speed as it is so after it warms up and I put some miles on it we will see. The rims on this bike look almost new as is, the fella who sold it to me had done both hubs so that's good for now. Thanks for the suggestions, ride safe.
(01-26-2014, 08:16 AM)tmblweed Wrote:  
(01-26-2014, 06:13 AM)1FJEF Wrote:  Excellent choices, I especially like the shifters and cables. In terms of 700c (622mm) wheels, your frame should quite easily take a 130mm rear hub, in case you'd like more selection. There are also guys who will gladly rebuild your existing hubs with new rims & spokes.

Maybe on that. It will accept a 7 speed as it is so after it warms up and I put some miles on it we will see. The rims on this bike look almost new as is, the fella who sold it to me had done both hubs so that's good for now. Thanks for the suggestions, ride safe.

OK, pretty much done after adding new Sun CR18 rims, Shimano 6 speed freewheel and Alivio long cage rear derailleur, Tektro R539 brakes in addition to the above...will try to post a pic. Ride safe and thanks for looking..
Sweet looking and riding bike. When you say Sun CR 18 rims , do you mean the entire wheel or did you lace new rims on.

If wheels where did you get them.

Ride!!!!!!!!!
Never Give Up!!!
(02-09-2014, 01:57 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Sweet looking and riding bike. When you say Sun CR 18 rims , do you mean the entire wheel or did you lace new rims on.

If wheels where did you get them.

Ride!!!!!!!!!

Sun CR18 complete rims. Sealed bearing, double walled with eyelets, 36 spoke. $115.00 plus shipping per set, you can get the same wheel in 700 cc also, go here>>>http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=739
Ok Thanks for info. Looks like a nice wheelset. Does not say if spokes are stainless steel, which are easier to keep clean especially here by the beach. I also like Schreader valves, easier to fill. But Presta is good for narrow rims.

Last time I rebuild my wheels and got the last cones in the neighborhood. Next time I'll just get new wheelset.

The rim BTW is just the outer part that gets laced to the hub and becomes a wheel.
Never Give Up!!!
(02-09-2014, 03:07 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Ok Thanks for info. Looks like a nice wheelset. Does not say if spokes are stainless steel, which are easier to keep clean especially here by the beach. I also like Schreader valves, easier to fill. But Presta is good for narrow rims.

Last time I rebuild my wheels and got the last cones in the neighborhood. Next time I'll just get new wheelset.

The rim BTW is just the outer part that gets laced to the hub and becomes a wheel.

Silver DT Champion 2.0 Spokes are listed as SS w/ brass nipples on Jenson USA site.
10-4 the wheels looked very nice, even had ferrules on rim for spokes usually found on expensive wheels. Definitely saved the link..
Never Give Up!!!
(02-09-2014, 06:24 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  10-4 the wheels looked very nice, even had ferrules on rim for spokes usually found on expensive wheels. Definitely saved the link..

Thanks for the terminology lesson...I have been riding on and off for several years but never had a need to closely learn the various parts until now. Smile
(02-09-2014, 06:24 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  10-4 the wheels looked very nice, even had ferrules on rim for spokes usually found on expensive wheels. Definitely saved the link..

As a finishing touch we have contacted Jennifer Green at Revolution Cycle Jewelry to craft a head badge for the Del Rey. Pics to follow once she is done.

Possibly Related Threads...