Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Panasonic DX-2000
Is there anything special about this bike. It seems fairly light and has bar end shifters. I want to convert it to a single or fixed but was wondering if that would be destroying it.
(02-02-2011, 08:44 AM)eorta7 Wrote:  Is there anything special about this bike. It seems fairly light and has bar end shifters. I want to convert it to a single or fixed but was wondering if that would be destroying it.

I'm not the one to asked about the conversion thing , but here is a little information I found on it... http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=62705 .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Panasonic bikes from the 70's -80-'s are exceptional. They made the great Schwinn Super Le Tour late in the 70's to early 80's.

The DX 2000 is in the mid end that goes to DX4000 which is top. In addition they made the pro Team bikes which were as good as anything in those days and won races.

Panasonic pioneered custom bikes made to order through dealers not only in color choice but in dimensions specially made for individual riders since some have long legs some have long arms.

http://picasaweb.google.com/scarsgo/1983PanasonicBicyclesCatalog?feat=flashslideshow#5230798887661854786

Read up on them. Lots of info on this site check out history and FAQ links too. If its in good condition IMO service and restore it.

How about a photo.

http://panasonicbikemuseum.info/
http://panasonicbikemuseum.info/archives/68
Never Give Up!!!
(02-02-2011, 03:48 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Panasonic bikes from the 70's -80-'s are exceptional. They made the great Schwinn Super Le Tour late in the 70's to early 80's.

The DX 2000 is in the mid end that goes to DX4000 which is top. In addition they made the pro Team bikes which were as good as anything in those days and won races.

Panasonic pioneered custom bikes made to order through dealers not only in color choice but in dimensions specially made for individual riders since some have long legs some have long arms.

http://picasaweb.google.com/scarsgo/1983PanasonicBicyclesCatalog?feat=flashslideshow#5230798887661854786

Read up on them. Lots of info on this site check out history and FAQ links too. If its in good condition IMO service and restore it.

How about a photo.

Here are a few pics:
(02-02-2011, 03:48 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Panasonic bikes from the 70's -80-'s are exceptional. They made the great Schwinn Super Le Tour late in the 70's to early 80's.

How about a photo.

[attachment=1875][attachment=1876][attachment=1877]
Ye, IMO only pristine bikes are worth restoring as restoration will well exceed their value. Parts are very scarce. I always pay more for the best I can find. In the long run it costs less. Unless very rare.Its still a good rider.

I recently restored a nice 85 Fuji del Rey. Bought it for $75 and put over $200, but it was well worth it to me. Very sweet ride.

If it was DX4000 or Team I'd consider restoring it, otherwise nice frame for a fixie project or a loaner bike..
Never Give Up!!!
Thanks for the comments and advice guys. I think I will try and find an inexpensive wheelset and convert it to a fixed. Any idea why it came with the 27 x 1.50 tires? Are these stock? It seems as though the frame is light and it has these big wheels..?
(02-03-2011, 04:25 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Ye, IMO only pristine bikes are worth restoring as restoration will well exceed their value. Parts are very scarce. I always pay more for the best I can find. In the long run it costs less. Unless very rare.Its still a good rider.

I recently restored a nice 85 Fuji del Rey. Bought it for $75 and put over $200, but it was well worth it to me. Very sweet ride.

If it was DX4000 or Team I'd consider restoring it, otherwise nice frame for a fixie project or a loaner bike..

Nice bike!
Hard to tell for sure from the photos, but I think your fork is bent back towards the frame. Look at the gap between your front wheel and frame versus the pics GeorgeET posted. If so, a possible safety issue, though you need someone knowledgeable to inspect. Even if not a safety issue, you're going to have very twitchy handling and your feet will tend to hit the front wheel like that. Have someone check it out.

You could probably get a fork for not too much so it's not a lost cause. Check out the front brake also.

This was a touring bike which tend to have larger tires than a racer. But don't fall for the skinnier is better thing. If the tires are ok, I'd ride em. This definitely looks like a good candidate for conversion though. Not in the kind of condition to restore.
(02-06-2011, 11:34 PM)DaveM Wrote:  Hard to tell for sure from the photos, but I think your fork is bent back towards the frame. Look at the gap between your front wheel and frame versus the pics GeorgeET posted. If so, a possible safety issue, though you need someone knowledgeable to inspect. Even if not a safety issue, you're going to have very twitchy handling and your feet will tend to hit the front wheel like that. Have someone check it out.

You could probably get a fork for not too much so it's not a lost cause. Check out the front brake also.

This was a touring bike which tend to have larger tires than a racer. But don't fall for the skinnier is better thing. If the tires are ok, I'd ride em. This definitely looks like a good candidate for conversion though. Not in the kind of condition to restore.

It does look that way in the pic but I think the frame and fork are straight. It rides smoothly. I rode it to the lbs. A buddy of mine has a fixed rear wheel he wants to sell me but its a 700c. Would that be ok with the bigger tire in front? I guess it would look kind a strange. Why is it so hard to find 27" fixed wheels? I haven't decided what to do so I haven't stripped it down yet. Maybe I will sell it, I have too many bikes laying around.
Again, the pics don't show enough to be sure, but I think it is bent straight back. May be fine to ride, but thought you should know.

You could put a 700 on the back. Your existing brake probably won't reach the rim anymore so you would either go without a rear hand brake or find a longer reach caliper. But lots of people ride a fix with just a front brake. Yeah, not sure why more companies aren't selling 27" fixed wheels. Seems like there's demand for them.
There is a reason links are given. With some homework you can find detailed information there and specs for your bike. ANND than ask educated questions with DATA.

When you say big wheels I have no idea if you mean diameter or width. You really need to learn to ask detailed questions. You will get detailed answers.

The below is from Sheldons site which also BTW offers 27 inch fixie wheels, looking at your front brake photo it looks like you can lower the pads 4mm to make them work with a 700c wheel. Check.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels1.html

As per bend fork a good photo of the front end would help, although I doubt a bike with bend fork would ride normally. It does look strange in the photo but it could be at an angle.

Here is Sheldons info . You can find much more there. Google helps too.

"27 inch (ISO 630) Wheels from Harris Cyclery

The wheels shown below will work with any "27 inch" tire.
The 630 mm/27 inch size was used on most sporty bikes in the U.S. up until the early 1980s, when it was gradually replaced by the slightly smaller 622 mm size also known as "700C. "

If your bike was made for 630 mm/27 inch wheels it may be possible to replace them with the 622 mm/700C size if you have room to lower your brake shoes by 4 mm."

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels/630.html
Never Give Up!!!
(02-07-2011, 01:34 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  There is a reason links are given. With some homework you can find detailed information there and specs for your bike. ANND than ask educated questions with DATA.

When you say big wheels I have no idea if you mean diameter or width. You really need to learn to ask detailed questions. You will get detailed answers.

The below is from Sheldons site which also BTW offers 27 inch fixie wheels, looking at your front brake photo it looks like you can lower the pads 4mm to make them work with a 700c wheel. Check.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels1.html

As per bend fork a good photo of the front end would help, although I doubt a bike with bend fork would ride normally. It does look strange in the photo but it could be at an angle.

Here is Sheldons info . You can find much more there. Google helps too.

"27 inch (ISO 630) Wheels from Harris Cyclery

The wheels shown below will work with any "27 inch" tire.
The 630 mm/27 inch size was used on most sporty bikes in the U.S. up until the early 1980s, when it was gradually replaced by the slightly smaller 622 mm size also known as "700C. "

If your bike was made for 630 mm/27 inch wheels it may be possible to replace them with the 622 mm/700C size if you have room to lower your brake shoes by 4 mm."

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/wheels/630.html

If it bothers you so much then why reply? AND you should realize in an open and public forum there will be people with varying degrees of knowledge. If you feel a question is beneath you use that 10 seconds of your life to do something else.
Quote:If it bothers you so much then why reply? AND you should realize in an open and public forum there will be people with varying degrees of knowledge. If you feel a question is beneath you use that 10 seconds of your life to do something else.

Chill a little eorta7. He is just trying to make a point to you. If he felt the question was beneath a response, I am sure you would not have gotten one from him.

I also feel that some of your questions are very "generic" and non-specific when you post them. It makes it hard to give you proper answers. They are too wide open to interpretation. Not always, but sometimes. Don't want to dampen your interest or enthusiasm though.

There are a lot of levels of knowledge on this forum, of course, but most times a poster carries some responsibility for asking good questions.

It just makes it easier all around.
Thanks RB, several knowledgeable people have commented that the questions have no value.

eorta ; If you are not willing to learn how to present questions in a technical manner on this forum do as was suggested elsewhere and take your bike to LBD who can examine it and give you answers based on information.Your questions are just words dancing in the wind.

I gave you good answers and links to valuable info. Use them and Learn about bicycles. Than ask real questions. It would also help to know where you are as some items are local.
Never Give Up!!!
Don't want to get into it with anyone, but the OP's questions seem pretty straight forward to me. He does post a lot and tends to ask broad questions without a lot of details. But I don't see where he's abusing the forum. The nice thing about this site is beginners can ask "dumb" questions without every expert jumping all over them like on bikeforums. But that's just me...
"Installing Crankset"
"I'd say either post more specifics about what you have and what you want to switch to. Or visit a bike shop for advice. " DaveM.

Well Dave you did say the above on another question. YES??? Cant have it both ways.:-))

Part of this list includes helping people learn to ask questions so they can get answers. It is all done with good intent. No one is jumping on anyone. The OP just saw it that way. Proper answers were given along with links to additional info.

Open mind and willingness to learn is needed. I am by far no expert, but I know how to listen..

BTW .....I do not know what forums you are referring too but the ones I visited were very constructive and helpful.

Thats all I am saying.
Never Give Up!!!
(02-07-2011, 05:17 PM)DaveM Wrote:  Don't want to get into it with anyone, but the OP's questions seem pretty straight forward to me. He does post a lot and tends to ask broad questions without a lot of details. But I don't see where he's abusing the forum. The nice thing about this site is beginners can ask "dumb" questions without every expert jumping all over them like on bikeforums. But that's just me...

Thanks Dave. I was always told the only dumb question is one that isn't asked. I like vintage bikes and don't know very much about them. I was born in 1990 so I missed the road bike heyday.
(02-07-2011, 04:09 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Thanks RB, several knowledgeable people have commented that the questions have no value.

eorta ; If you are not willing to learn how to present questions in a technical manner on this forum do as was suggested elsewhere and take your bike to LBD who can examine it and give you answers based on information.Your questions are just words dancing in the wind.

I gave you good answers and links to valuable info. Use them and Learn about bicycles. Than ask real questions. It would also help to know where you are as some items are local.

And I appreciate your help and assistance. I haven't been told not to post questions by any moderators. Btw, I'm a native new yorker.
No one ever suggested you should not ask questions. It was suggested that you ask more detailed ones.

You indeed are a young one, its good that you have interest in vintage bikes. Ye I was young once too (still young at heart) and asked a lot of questions about motorcycle repair from mechanics. This was before the internet. I got my hard knocks first hand. But I learned. Ye the good old days when you could hang out around the shop and watch. That too is gone.

I too am a former New Yorker, from Bayside, Queens. Where are you . To most New York means Manhattan. You in school, which one?
Never Give Up!!!
(02-07-2011, 11:45 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  No one ever suggested you should not ask questions. It was suggested that you ask more detailed ones.

You indeed are a young one, its good that you have interest in vintage bikes. Ye I was young once too (still young at heart) and asked a lot of questions about motorcycle repair from mechanics. This was before the internet. I got my hard knocks first hand. But I learned. Ye the good old days when you could hang out around the shop and watch. That too is gone.

I too am a former New Yorker, from Bayside, Queens. Where are you . To most New York means Manhattan. You in school, which one?

Brooklyn (Coney Island). Yes, I go to Hunter College in the city.
(02-07-2011, 11:45 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  No one ever suggested you should not ask questions. It was suggested that you ask more detailed ones.

Manhattan is home to resident tourists and transplants. They come to live their ny fantasy for a few years and then it's off to the next trendy locale: San Francisco,Chicago etc. Most ny'ers despise them. That being said they are spreading to the outer boroughs to the chagrin of many. Back to bikes, a friend is giving me a C.ITOH bike later today. I will post a few pics.
I went to Queens College and latter Brooklyn Collage.

In Manhattan I was involved with the rock scene and worked at opening major clubs in the 80's along with doing the original rig in Studio 54. In those days it was the Brooklyn crowd coming in that was PO people off. :-))) Times change.

The C.ITOH bike got me interested, so this is what I found. Sheldon again. If you are interested in vintage bikes he has lots of info on whats great and whats not. Some great bikes were made on the upper end in Japan.

http://sheldonbrown.com/japan.html
Never Give Up!!!