Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

My Raleigh 1940
[attachment=1898]
[attachment=1903]
[attachment=1904]
[attachment=1905]
[attachment=1907]

Gents
Here's another Raleigh in my fleet from 1940 rejuvenated with 3 speed hub & newly painted with some minor changes like paddles & oil bath chain case which is not original...Sorry for that. Will post some better pics with camera better camera.
Cyclostyle in style
Wow! :O
Nice bike and looks great, I have a 4 speed that needs a bit of work, but I havn't dated it yet.
Now that would be just too cool to be riding down the street on. Haven't seen one of those generators for the lights since I was a kid. Very nice bike and in great condition.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
WOW!!!! JUST A FABULOUS RESTORE!!!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(02-10-2011, 03:56 PM)JohnV Wrote:  Now that would be just too cool to be riding down the street on. Haven't seen one of those generators for the lights since I was a kid. Very nice bike and in great condition.

Thanks John. Yah! it's pleasure riding this masterpiece, especially when you here click!click! from that 3 speed. Sounds to me like indian classical music.
(02-10-2011, 07:16 PM)Bill Wrote:  WOW!!!! JUST A FABULOUS RESTORE!!!

Thanks Bill
Soon I will be upgrading another similar couple of raleigh with rod brakes & a humber bicycle. Will keep update.
Cyclostyle in style
Lol yeah you caught me looking again this morning Tongue . Anyways I was wandering why they call it the "oil bath" chain case? BTW it looks great on it. Also how do the rod brakes perform over today's standard brakes? As far as the click of the 3 speed hub, I love it when I ride one. Definitely can't wait to see the other ones you are going to restore. Oh almost forgot how did you redo the paint job?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(02-11-2011, 08:46 AM)Bill Wrote:  Lol yeah you caught me looking again this morning Tongue . Anyways I was wandering why they call it the "oil bath" chain case? BTW it looks great on it. Also how do the rod brakes perform over today's standard brakes? As far as the click of the 3 speed hub, I love it when I ride one. Definitely can't wait to see the other ones you are going to restore. Oh almost forgot how did you redo the paint job?
Step by step......
1) We call it oil bath coz you can physically use it as oil sump.Put some light oil in chain case. It will roll down to bottom of round plate,where it acts as a sump, when drive chain is rolling thru that place,it passes thru this oil & is always kept lubricated. Good in theory....but PIA in practical. This leaves you no option than to keep your bicycle straight 24 X 7. Best is that I am lubricating chain externally when ever required.
2) Rod brakes are working perfectly all right. in the beginning as there were some issues with wheel truing,braking was not good at all,but as those wheels are perfectly in line rod brakes are smoother & very efficient.
3) This paint job was done in a total indian style.!!!!!!!! Some emery paper to rub off old paint,2 coats of ultra thin red oxide in over 3 days to have good drying of coats & then my favorite amber green paint was coated twice with a lot of thinner in so as to make sure that one spreads uniformly. This is epoxy paint. All hand work & no spray cans or guns are used.I hope it runs longer now. Whole thing took me almost 7 days to get it to satisfaction & spent a little over $10 for the paint all together. Till now I have spent $40 including all refurbishment right from beginning till this stage. Major expenses was buying AW 3 speed hub, which cost me $20 here in India & tyre cost me at $10.
But I am happy to see the result.
(02-10-2011, 03:50 PM)trevgbb Wrote:  Nice bike and looks great, I have a 4 speed that needs a bit of work, but I haven't dated it yet.

Man... start working on your 4 speed. & I believe you can turn it into an amazing piece of machine.
Cyclostyle in style
that's some cool kit guy.
(02-10-2011, 09:45 AM)atulkunte69 Wrote:  Gents
Here's another Raleigh in my fleet from 1940 rejuvenated with 3 speed hub & newly painted with some minor changes like paddles & oil bath chain case which is not original...Sorry for that. Will post some better pics with camera better camera.

a very nice piece of kit. brings back memories of when i was a little boy. there was this huge man named clarkey who restored one just like this. what really stuck with me all these years about this bike was the enormous size of it, the ticking of the hub and the wya this thing just freewheeled ever.
(02-10-2011, 02:43 PM)nameused Wrote:  Wow! :O
This picture is dedicated to the guy in picture. His name is Moosa bhai. He is the one to provide me SA 3 speed hub & accessories for that.[attachment=1909]
Cyclostyle in style
That is really a cool idea, as you said in theory Wink, but I could see the PIA too. It is what I visioned the chain guard to be but never thought it was real! Those kind of brakes are the kind I personally like, because of the effort you have to keep the wheels ever so true Big Grin! For the paint I never heard of this method before, but sounds like you were very dedicated to the restoration of it. Wow it is a very nice paint job by hand!!! The prices you gave to fix it up has to be the most inexpensive I have heard of. Hats off to you.

Bill

P.S. Not sure if you have any info on your Hub but here is a quick link .... http://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer.html .

EDIT: I like the older guys that work on bikes! If they don't have the part you need they sure as heck have LOTS of stories to share.
(02-12-2011, 11:12 AM)Bill Wrote:  That is really a cool idea, as you said in theory Wink, but I could see the PIA too. It is what I visioned the chain guard to be but never thought it was real! Those kind of brakes are the kind I personally like, because of the effort you have to keep the wheels ever so true Big Grin! For the paint I never heard of this method before, but sounds like you were very dedicated to the restoration of it. Wow it is a very nice paint job by hand!!! The prices you gave to fix it up has to be the most inexpensive I have heard of. Hats off to you.

Bill

P.S. Not sure if you have any info on your Hub but here is a quick link .... http://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer.html .

EDIT: I like the older guys that work on bikes! If they don't have the part you need they sure as heck have LOTS of stories to share.

Yes Bill,My hub is AW hub. Can you see that above picture of old man who gave me this hub ?
Look at his shop behind......There's a yellow polythene bag hanging in the shop...........this bag is full of different SA hubs, I mean with hub brakes, with coaster brakes with rear dynohub & all. You name it.. he got it...I was lucky to see all of them together in one place. the best part is all are ready to go!!!! on my next raleigh( single speed) I am planning to put a SA rear hub brake. I think that's going to be cool!!
Cyclostyle in style
See if you can deal him out of one of the DYNO hubs as they are really nice for generating power to those 3w head lamps. Personally I have yet to get a hold of one, but I am trying to remember who here on the forums that have one. I know there are like two people who have or had them and suggested me use those instead of the flip generator that uses the tire to get the power needed. The flips are nice but they create an incredible extra "drag" that is not necessary. Not going to get into a lot of detail on that as this is your post. They are great for 3spds though.

Yes he is the one who I was referring to about the older guys and great stories. Some of the bikes I like are before my time but I delve into history on certain subjects and yes you guessed it bikes is one of my newest and most favorite.
I have a bike almost the same as that, but a ladies model and with a dynohub on the rear, how did you date ur bike? i thought my bike was from 1968 because of the date on hub but many it was added to the bike later.
[attachment=1921]

[attachment=1922]
(02-14-2011, 05:18 PM)Darrenjs92ni Wrote:  I have a bike almost the same as that, but a ladies model and with a dynohub on the rear, how did you date ur bike? i thought my bike was from 1968 because of the date on hub but many it was added to the bike later.

I checked out my serial number on to sheldonbrown.com. Just type 'age of your raleigh' on google & you can get a lot of data on sheldon brown. You should know correct serial number which should be below your seat post on main frame. If you are lucky enough you will find the number in the certain range on bible...I mean sheldonbrown... Good luck!!
Cyclostyle in style
[attachment=1924][attachment=1925]

Bill, Check out these pictures. I am having a little problem with miller dynamo. I have to spin too hard to even begin the bulb to glow. What can be wrong with this? Is that a wrong wattage bulb in there?
Looking at the bottom view of dynamo can you suggest me what voltage & wattage bulb will suit my requirement.
Existing bulb in there is too old too read anything on that.. please help.
Cyclostyle in style
(02-17-2011, 03:15 AM)atulkunte69 Wrote:  

Bill, Check out these pictures. I am having a little problem with miller dynamo. I have to spin too hard to even begin the bulb to glow. What can be wrong with this? Is that a wrong wattage bulb in there?
Looking at the bottom view of dynamo can you suggest me what voltage & wattage bulb will suit my requirement.
Existing bulb in there is too old too read anything on that.. please help.

Ok in my experience with these types of generators they were 3watt max. The faster you go the brighter it is. The bulb maybe older and a replacement of a 1.5watt bulb could give you better results. A 3watt bulb may be brighter but you have to go faster. Something else you may want to consider is replacing the wire with a newer one that runs between the generator and the headlamp.
Again forgive me if my answer is not correct in what you are asking but those are the only advices I have. I do believe the other "old timers" here in the forums could probably answer this one better then I.

P.S. The old timers comment I mean more experienced Big Grin . Yes I am an old timer.
Also clean the contacts of where the wire connects! If these do not help it may be possible the generator is getting old???
Hi all
Some more additions with better quality pics.

[attachment=2129]
[attachment=2130]
[attachment=2131]
[attachment=2132]
[attachment=2133]
[attachment=2134]
Cyclostyle in style
Excellent maintenance. what are the updates you have made in your bike?
Nothing special. only a good paint job. added up 3 speed sturmey archer hub with new stainless steel spokes.
Cyclostyle in style
How did the generator turn out? It working better?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post