Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bicycle Songs
I like bikes and music - and songs about bikes. Dig it?

I know several but, my fave is 'My White Bicycle' by the Rock band Nazareth. This one could go Road or MTB as long as it is HammerTime.
A verse from that one goes... "See that man, who's all alone? He looks so happy but he's far from home. I ring my bell. I smile at him. Then I kick over his garbage bin".

Share your fave bike songs! And WHY. And a verse.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Here's a couple I like but not sure if they are "bicycle songs" so I have to hear the lyrics first. Here goes.

". . .excuse me while I kiss the sky . . ." (Jimi Hendrix) Nope.

" . . . But don't ask what I think of you. You might not get the answer that you me to . . ." (early Fleetwood Mac) Not this one.

"Oh Blackwater, keep on rollin' . . . " (Doobie Brothers) Nope.

"You go back, Jack, do it again, wheels turning' 'round and 'round . . . " (Steely Dan) Good song but nope.

Nope none of those are bicycle songs, sorry. Smile

What was the name of that band you quoted again?

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
(02-12-2011, 06:31 PM)KC-Steve Wrote:  What was the name of that band you quoted again?

Nazareth, Steve. The guys that did 'Love Hurts'. That was 1975. Maybe you are too old and thought that a band called Tomorrow did it in 1967? You would be correct and I would be showing my age, too. Smile It was a cover-tune for Nazareth.

You and I have similar taste in music. I know all of those you listed!

Here's a brain-teaser for you... Jimmy Buffett sang "My old red bike, it gets me around. To the bar rooms and the beaches in my town". Can you name the song? Extra points if you can tell which album it was released on!
This one....
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jEpD9RH-Wds" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Answer to the next question is here (I'll leave the bonus out) Sorry had to I love all the groups and artists listed Big Grin
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EqAc2T4wYpA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Bill. I have two words for you.

You

Rock

Cool vids I haven't seen. That is a sweet Pinarello in the Naz track.
FYI - 'I Have Found Me A Home' was on Jimmy's "White Sport Coat And A Pink Crustation" album from 1973. I would have sent you a check for $2 Billion via fax if I had the money and you answered correctly.

Whew! I was sweating that one. Thanks for getting me off the hook, Bill!
Guess this is one of my better days! Wink Anyways there are a couple of songs I will try to track down I can remember. Wish I did have that much money Big Grin
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I don't rock (much any more). I was just giving you a hard time about Nazareth. Smile

But in all honesty, after the military I had a new set of friends around the late 1970's and started listening to Jazz and Jazz fusion. Seeing the Count Basie Orchestra live was as memorable as seeing Grateful Dead live. There is something kewl about hearing 50 band members pounding out and hitting every note perfectly. When Punk Rock started becoming popular, that pretty much did it for me. Blondie was okay though. Rock died for me around the 1980's. But with the start of the Seattle sound, I began to listen again because most of that was VERY similar to the old stuff I liked. But then along came Rap, Hip-hop, et al, and I quit listening to that stuff again.

These so-called record producers that keep blaming "pirates" for their low sales maybe should consider the possibility that the new music (and I use the term "music" loosely) is crap and people just don't like it. Smile

It all makes me wanna to listen to Rush Limbaugh instead so I can preserve my sanity, LOL.

Steve
"I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like.
It's got a basket, a bell that rings
And things to make it look good.
I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.

You're the kind of girl that fits in with my world.
I'll give you anything, everything if you want things."

Pink Floyd, anyone?
Offhand I don't recall that lyric. I think I have every Pink Floyd album/CD ever released but sure don't recall that. It could be that I generally listen to the rhythm rather than the lyrics. Which album is that?

-----
When I was young I never imagined Floyd would be elevator music but sure enough I heard it the other day. Can you imagine P-diddy playing in an elevator of the future? Smile

The Grammys were last night. I only watched long enough to see a group performing an old Aretha Franklin tune from the 1960s. See, they can't come up with anything original that's any good.

Just call me Pharaoh Goo Goo (out ranks Lady Ga Ga)
aka Steve

PS: Sorta reminds me of King Crimson now that I think about it.
Queen - bicycle race.
Katie Melua - 9 million bicycles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIrX8YpiJgA
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(02-14-2011, 02:55 PM)cyclerUK Wrote:  Queen - bicycle race.
Katie Melua - 9 million bicycles

Cool story about Katie Melua's "9 millions bicycles"
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eHQG6-DojVw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
is
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2JMFiBwcVyQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Not so much about bikes but a cool story none the less.
Good call, UK! I wondered when someone would bring those up.

Steve - Those lyrics are from the Syd Barrett days. A song titled "Bike" on the debut album 'The Piper At The Gates of Dawn'. It's also the last track on 'Relics'.
Ah, that must be a new release then, and/or a greatest hits release.

". . . oh by the way, which one is Pink . . ." (Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" album, "Have a Cigar" cut) Kinda ties in with my rant about music producers above. Smile

Pharaoh Goo Goo Smile
Queen-I Want to Ride My Bicycle
Have fun and just enjoy the ride
(02-13-2011, 08:31 PM)RobAR Wrote:  "I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like.
It's got a basket, a bell that rings
And things to make it look good.
I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.

You're the kind of girl that fits in with my world.
I'll give you anything, everything if you want things."

Pink Floyd, anyone?

One of my favorites!!

And far from a new release, it is a relic for sure Wink
I rode my bicycle past your window last night
I roller-skated to your door at daylight
It almost seems like you're avoiding me
I'm okay alone, but you got something I need

I ride my bike, I roller skate don't drive no car
Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far
For somebody who don't drive
I been all around the world
Some people say, I done all right for a girl

I asked your mother if you were at home
She said yes but you weren't alone
Oh, sometimes I think that you're avoiding me
I'm okay alone, but you got something I need

Well, I got a brand new pair of roller skates
You got a brand new key
I think that we should get together
And try them out to see
La, la, la, la, la, la La, la, la, la, la
Oh, I got a brand new pair of roller skates
You got a brand new key
Sheesh! Pick a couple favorites? Way too many to list. I like all of the ones above, and have a few I'd like to add:

Ride On -AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.

Back in the Saddle - Aerosmith - Rocks

Riding the Storm Out - Reo Speedwagon

Free Ride -Edgar Winter Group

I've Been Everywhere, Man - Johnny Cash

I Feel Free - Cream

Off beat Ride - Pat Travers

You know, I could go on & on & on....went on a midnight ride this year, listening to all Led Zeppelin songs, couldn't see my computer, and ended up averaging 5.5 mph faster than normal. Love riding with music. Ride On!

Ride on, keep on riding
Riding on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on
Ride on, gonna have myself a good time - AC/DC

woo Hoo, barefooter! That's a few I hadn't considered!
Back In The Saddle & Riding The Storm Out = very cool.
I like Edgar Winter doing 'Frankenstein' when I am in hammer mode.
Want to trade your Cash tune for a Jerry Lee??

I must be missing something... Where in 'Dirty Deeds' do the Brothers Young bring up bicycles? I thought it was molotav cocktails and cement blocks?

May I offer a bit of advice? Thank you! If you stop looking at that stupid computer and just Ride, you will be approx 5.5 mph faster than normal. Wink Just carry a Shooter Jennings (Waylons boy) tune (Steady At The Wheel) in your head. "Zero to 60, it's the next big thing. They tell me it's a steal."

A really good song about bicycles is rare in modern music.
Which Jerry Lee tune? I probably have it. I listen to Robert Johnson and other blues from the 30's, Big Band stuff from the 40's, Early rock and country from the fifties, everything from the 60's,70's, 80's, alot from the 90's thru present, except RAP. Never heard of Shooter Jennings, will have to check it out. Always up for some new tunes. Although the brothers Young don't bring up bicycles, I love to "Ride On". And, yes, I figured that out about the computer after that midnight ride. I only have the clock showing now until I get off the bike, and it has helped up my AVG speed.

Ride on, keep on riding
Riding on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on
Ride on, gonna have myself a good time - AC/DC

13, 29 and 40, 98. I went to rock N roll parties on my last pair of dates. But it's good.
Rockin' My Life Away - Jerry Lee