Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
Sealed Freehub
I have a muddfox bike and the cassette seemed to be getting stiff. I have now removed the cassette but the freehub appears to be a sealed part of the wheel and therefore I am not able to maintain it. Is this likely to be the case or am I just missing something. Thanks for any advice.
Some people have successfully added some time to their freehubs. They are expendable and can be unbolted from wheel and replaced.

AS per cleaning, unbolt it, flush it with a good cleaner , get it moving freely and than spray lubricant into it. Some can be taken apart. IMO with the labor and cleaners needed , its just easier to get a new one.

Do not know whats available in UK. I find automotive spray cleaners useful such as Gumout or Brake Clean (just be careful with paint) Follow manufacturers safety guide.
and a Teflon spray as lubricant.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/freehub-service
http://bicycletutor.com/freehub-body/
Never Give Up!!!
Hi Andy. George gave you some good links and thoughts.
Something that you want to pay attention to, though - that pic on the Park site that shows the body being removed from the drive-side? Some are also removed from the other side. On less-expensive hubs, some are not removable at all but those are rare. Others can be removed that are so obscure that you have No Idea how to find a replacement.

Andy - if you can provide more details on parts, we might have more info.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(02-17-2011, 01:15 AM)RobAR Wrote:  Some are also removed from the other side. On less-expensive hubs, some are not removable at all but those are rare. Others can be removed that are so obscure that you have No Idea how to find a replacement.
Yeah, the ones that come off from the "wrong" side seem to use an 11 mm hex instead of a 10. I've got a wheel that a guy sold me with a free freehub spare as he said I would never find one!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What freehub do I have? juan82 3 2,875 08-01-2015, 12:34 AM
Last Post: painkiller
  How do I remove a rear sealed cartridge bearing jwl1 7 22,809 04-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Last Post: Masterbike
  Wheel Master Alloy SF Tandem Rear Hub - 40H, 135mm, 9-Speed Cassette, Sealed, QR, Bla nfmisso 3 5,242 08-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Last Post: nfmisso