Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

The Amazing Di2
I will be the first to admit that I have a certain affinity that draws me to drool over new tech stuff. For the most part, I don't buy into it. I like 8 on my MTB and 10 on the Road. No 'morning after' affects.

I have read about Shimano's new Di2, and thought it cool. Yesterday I was proven wrong. It's like - too much, dude! No Way! Yes, way!
This morning, I awoke 3 hours before the alarm rang. I was thinking about the Shimano DuraAce Di2 equipped Madone that our Trek rep graced me with yesterday!

..my thoughts...

The "Battery Weight" issue.
It's actually a non-issue, IMHO. The rechargeable actually weighs roughly the same as one, I said ONE, 28oz bottle. An Empty bottle!

"Battery-life?" you ask? Impressive but still needs good maintenance at charges, I am sure.

"How does it shift?" It does not shift. You do. Your lever-throw makes the shift. Electronic shifting, Baby!

Does anyone care to hear anymore details? I was wowwed. Auto-trim drlr on-the-fly. Wow.

Rob
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
I saw the Di2 on their web site, but have not seen them on an actual bike yet. However nice they are, I'm sure they aren't within the budget of most bike owners. How much does it increase the price of the bike with just a normal DuraAce drivetrain? I guess I can go to Trek's web site and find out. I know Giant was offering them on their TCR Advanced but haven't seen any of them in any of the Giant shops down here. There is an IronMan store not too far from me and on the way to my wife's favorite shopping center. They carry all the very high end tri and road bikes so I may drop by and see if they have a bike with a Di2 drivetrain. Not that I would buy it, but it would be interesting to see it on a bike.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
OK, so I went to Giant's site and answered my own question. The Di2 is standard on the TCR Advanced SL 0 (MSRP $12,500.00). The next model down is the TCR Advanced SL 1 (MSRP $7,400.00). The only differences between the two is the SL 1 has the full DuraAce 7900 drivetrain and Shimano Carbon wheels and the SL 0 has the Di2 drivetrain with Zipp 404 wheels. All other components are the same. I would think that the cost difference between the wheels isn't going to be more than a few hundred bucks, so the rest of the price difference is in the drivetrain.
HCFR Cycling Team
You're correct, JV. It ain't cheap. No way I could afford it!
If I could, though, I would. It's just TOO cool. As I said - I am oldschool but do like to dig on new stuff. Actually, I am required to working at a shop.

Shimano has invested almost 12 years into the R&D of it. It shows, man.
Not just a novel way to shift - this thing actually adjust your drlrs position 'on-the-fly'. Say you make a quick jump of 4 down in the rear while in the big ring. We trim for chain rub via the left shifter, yes? Not with Di2, we don't! It knows what you did and the computer compensates by bringing the FD inboard slightly.
The RD is even more amazing... he used the palm of his hand to push the rear dropout inward to simulate a slightly bent drlr hanger. It compensated! NO chain trying to climb after 5 or 6 rotations! I was wowwed. For sure.

We all know about Shimano and thier approach to R&D and then Trickle-down. I would dare say that new 105 is nicer than the DA of 1999.
It just makes me wonder what might be common in 2020.
Quote:It just makes me wonder what might be common in 2020.

2020! Rob, by then I'll be posting on wheelchair forums. Smile But I'm sure that as anything else, when the technology gets to a point where its more cost effective to mass produce, the price always drops quite a bit.

I have to take my road bike back to the shop that installed the crankset and BB because the BB is making some weird noises that started yesterday. I'll see if they have anything in stock that has the Di2 system and check it out.
HCFR Cycling Team
in 2020 we'll be wondering how we ever rode bikes on the ground!Smile
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
Are you guys developing an anti-gravity wheel-chair?!! True bike geeks. Wink
You have 8 years. GO!