Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rear deraileur B screw has no more adjustment
I need to adjust the guide pulley away from the sprocket on the rear deraileur, but the B screw does not have any more adjustment left. I hope this is an easy fix and I would appreciate any advice on this.
Thanks
(02-23-2011, 01:00 AM)Gardner Wrote:  I need to adjust the guide pulley away from the sprocket on the rear deraileur, but the B screw does not have any more adjustment left. I hope this is an easy fix and I would appreciate any advice on this.
Thanks

Two choices:-

Remove existing screw and fit a longer one.

or - Remove screw, turn it round and fit in the opposite side.
This will put the head of the screw against the frame stop.
A little awkward to adjust but once set it's just left there.

See:- http://www.sheldonbrown.com/deakins/lowgears.html
About half way down the page shows what I mean.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(02-23-2011, 08:48 AM)cyclerUK Wrote:  
(02-23-2011, 01:00 AM)Gardner Wrote:  I need to adjust the guide pulley away from the sprocket on the rear deraileur, but the B screw does not have any more adjustment left. I hope this is an easy fix and I would appreciate any advice on this.
Thanks

Two choices:-

Remove existing screw and fit a longer one.

or - Remove screw, turn it round and fit in the opposite side.
This will put the head of the screw against the frame stop.
A little awkward to adjust but once set it's just left there.

See:- http://www.sheldonbrown.com/deakins/lowgears.html
About half way down the page shows what I mean.

Wow...great and easy fixes! Thanks for the help. I thought about putting a longer screw in but I was not sure if there was an underlying problem that needed to be corrected first. Thanks again for the help.
sometimes it can be tricky to install the derailer in just the right spot on the hanger, i'd check that first, and make sure the hanger isnt bent. did the bike recently fallover or crash? are you installing a new derailer? maybe you just got the bike and dont know its history? just tryin to help.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
is the chain too long?
(02-23-2011, 11:54 AM)X-RAY Wrote:  sometimes it can be tricky to install the derailer in just the right spot on the hanger, i'd check that first, and make sure the hanger isnt bent. did the bike recently fallover or crash? are you installing a new derailer? maybe you just got the bike and dont know its history? just tryin to help.

Hey, thanks for the help. The derailleur is the same one that came on the bike when I purchased it new. I just noticed this problem when I started some general yearly maintenance on the bike and do not remember a crash that could have bent it.
(02-23-2011, 12:41 PM)trevgbb Wrote:  is the chain too long?

The chain is the original chain. I guess over time it could have stretched, but I am not sure if it could stretch that much and it doesn’t have a lot of slack in it.

Possibly Related Threads...