Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

A retired old Mule
Hi, i thought i'd post a picture of my old mule now retired to local fun runs only, She's been all over Scotland the Highlands & islands over the past 8 years, time had come to go lighter as the engine (me) is getting older, if you look closely i had so many things tied to every spare space from fishing rod to two way radio & camera on the front forks, theres no way i can fault this bike in anyway....[attachment=1943][attachment=1944]
hi the bike still looks good. the Saracen frame is very strong and this one's fought the battle and still standing. I just finished polishing a Saracen Ruff Trax and you could really feel the build quality compared to a lot of other expensive makes. Did you change a lot of the parts over the years?
(02-22-2011, 04:07 PM)hcjg1 Wrote:  hi the bike still looks good. the Saracen frame is very strong and this one's fought the battle and still standing. I just finished polishing a Saracen Ruff Trax and you could really feel the build quality compared to a lot of other expensive makes. Did you change a lot of the parts over the years?

To be honest not really Pedals were the main problem as i kept catching them on narrow mountain paths & i had worn out a few seats but other than that its only had new tyre's & tubes, The build quality of the frame is real good & still as strong as the day i got it, i just found her too heavy & awkward these days, so i changed to a Claude Butler which halved the weight, thanks
That looks like a pretty sweet bike. You have just about everything you would ever need strapped onto there somehow haha. You should post some pictures of your current ride, we love seeing different bikes Smile
(02-23-2011, 12:48 AM)nameused Wrote:  That looks like a pretty sweet bike. You have just about everything you would ever need strapped onto there somehow haha. You should post some pictures of your current ride, we love seeing different bikes Smile

Thanks Heres my new light weight mule.
OK! I'm sure its been done before, but I've never seen anyone mount a water bottle cage on a fork arm before. Interesting.....

Anyway, very nice bikes; both of them.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
(02-23-2011, 01:41 PM)JohnV Wrote:  OK! I'm sure its been done before, but I've never seen anyone mount a water bottle cage on a fork arm before. Interesting.....

Anyway, very nice bikes; both of them.

Thanks John, I couldn't put the bottle on the other side of the forks as the video cameras mounted there lol
Looking at some of the photos you posted on flickr and I have to say, very, very, very nice. I hope to do something similar when I retire and the wife and I start bicycling around the U.S.
HCFR Cycling Team
(02-24-2011, 08:25 AM)JohnV Wrote:  Looking at some of the photos you posted on flickr and I have to say, very, very, very nice. I hope to do something similar when I retire and the wife and I start bicycling around the U.S.

Thanks John I really appreciate that, although i think your challenge will be more than mine as its only approx 70mils East coast to west coast here.
I should have said that we will drive there, then bicycle the area.
HCFR Cycling Team
Looking pretty young yet for an old mule Wink
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(02-27-2011, 10:38 PM)Bill Wrote:  Looking pretty young yet for an old mule Wink

Thanks Bill i gotta say that after reading posts on this site i've probably been a bit hard on the old girl, its seams 8yrs & approx 25,000 miles aint as old as i first thought Smile