Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Make your brakes work better for 1$
Hi!, im new to the site, this is my first post Hows it going everybody?!

As i promised you, How to make your brakes work better. (The Joe Schmoe way)
Its just an idea, butttt, i think it would work if you applied some sort of sticky substance to the rim of the wheel, even superglueing something like fine fine sandpaper onto the rim.
[Image: Bicycle-Rim-Replacement.jpg]
right here ^

I've had bicycle brakes that GRAB onto some rims and when the same brakes are used on a different wheel, some wheels just wont grab, I believe that its because the metal is too oily or slick.

A solution i think would be to either SUPER CLEAN the metal on the rim or make them sticky, of course you wouldn't do this to a high end bicycle, but im talking in terms of a winter beater where great brakes is a MUST!

Lemme know what you think!
I don't know that I want to hit my brakes (especially the front) going down hill at a high rate of speed with a sticky substance on them and have them grab and lock up rather than slow me down. It's a good way to go head over the handlebars.

It's better to make sure the braking area is clean and if need be, roughen the pads rather than the rim.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
Yea I have to agree with John and seeing how said "as promised"you must've been here before? As far as testing your theory guess that's up to you! Good luck and post the results.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(03-01-2011, 10:30 PM)Bill Wrote:  Yea I have to agree with John and seeing how said "as promised"you must've been here before? As far as testing your theory guess that's up to you! Good luck and post the results.

Good input both of you guys, No im new to the site Smile

SORRY you guys, i forgot to add what type of biking I do, I do stunt and trail biking where you need to be able to do endo's and hang onto ledges with your front wheel using the brakes.

It would be very aggressive having something on the rim thats sticky although I think i'd remember to go easy on the front brake.

I think none the less, it deffinitely is worth testing, what do you guys think???
(03-01-2011, 11:22 PM)Miles Wrote:  
(03-01-2011, 10:30 PM)Bill Wrote:  Yea I have to agree with John and seeing how said "as promised"you must've been here before? As far as testing your theory guess that's up to you! Good luck and post the results.

Good input both of you guys, No im new to the site Smile

SORRY you guys, i forgot to add what type of biking I do, I do stunt and trail biking where you need to be able to do endo's and hang onto ledges with your front wheel using the brakes.

It would be very aggressive having something on the rim thats sticky although I think i'd remember to go easy on the front brake.

I think none the less, it deffinitely is worth testing, what do you guys think???

Ah ok you do trail riding. In that having strong brakes is a must, but for the rest of, fluctuation is the way to go. Being able to just slow down a little sometimes and stop fast other times works better.
Controllability and predictability of brakes is just as important as power. Having anything other than a clean dry rim is probably going to mess up your ability to control the brakes. You might argue that slightly roughening up the surface of the rim would improve braking power. But you would have to be able to make it rough very evenly which is very difficult after manufacturing.

Far better approach is good quality brakes and pads. There are brakes for any kind of bike that will stop the wheel, beyond that, more "power" is meaningless.
is that spoke a little too tight?
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
(03-02-2011, 05:29 PM)X-RAY Wrote:  is that spoke a little too tight?
Yes, X. It probably is. Trials riders aren't like most MTBrs. They go to some extreme measures to lock a wheel. Remember Hans Rey and all of those cool movies GT made in the 1990's?
Sometimes my spoke gets wound up, too.

Hi, Miles! Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(03-02-2011, 10:05 PM)RobAR Wrote:  
(03-02-2011, 05:29 PM)X-RAY Wrote:  is that spoke a little too tight?
Yes, X. It probably is. Trials riders aren't like most MTBrs. They go to some extreme measures to lock a wheel. Remember Hans Rey and all of those cool movies GT made in the 1990's?
Sometimes my spoke gets wound up, too.

Hi, Miles! Smile

Hey Hows it going!?

to X, i got the pic off google, im just trying to show the area.
Hey you guys, i tried cleaning the rim with rubbing alcohol to take the grease off of it, i think it actually worked. I think its worth trying if your actually going to intensively clean it.
(03-02-2011, 05:03 PM)DaveM Wrote:  Controllability and predictability of brakes is just as important as power. Having anything other than a clean dry rim is probably going to mess up your ability to control the brakes. You might argue that slightly roughening up the surface of the rim would improve braking power. But you would have to be able to make it rough very evenly which is very difficult after manufacturing.

Far better approach is good quality brakes and pads. There are brakes for any kind of bike that will stop the wheel, beyond that, more "power" is meaningless.

Dave M, thats an INCREDIBLY good point about how it would be next to impossible to apply the same wear on the rim evenly around the whole thing, thanks
i thought that was your wheel, and coudnt believe noone else commented on the nipple pulling thru the rim. guess i was going for the eagle eye award.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
Who owes me a 1$ ?
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)

Possibly Related Threads...