Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Shimano 2x5 system
I am trying to adjust the front derailleur using your tutor!
after trying very hard I came close and chain doesn't drop out of the 2 rings and system works. But even after hours of tweaking I cant avoid the problem that when i try to use big rear and small front chain rubs inside of the derailleur and when i avoid that then for small rear and big front have a problem. "so basically for some gear chain rubs inside of the derailleur"

I know its good to use gear in a way that chain keeps as straight as possible but can this be avoided in the gear system or it is unavoidable!

Thanks!
That is normal for multispeed bikes. If you have 2 chain rings, the smaller chain ring will work well with most of the gears except the smaller ones and visa-versa for the large chain ring. I have a triple crankset on both my bikes and normally ride on the middle chain ring because it will use all nine of the cassette cogs without any chain rub. On my hybrid, I have the SRAM twist grip shifter that has a middle position for the chain rings. So, if I start getting a chain rub, I can shift it in between the major gears. I also have this feature on my road bike with the Sora SIS shifters.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
You should be able to ride in big-small and small big without rubbing on the derailleur. (Big-big and small-small are the ones to avoid.) First guess is that the limit screws are not set correctly. It could also be alignment of the front derailleur (if it is not parallel to the front chainrings.)
Duh! I meant (and should have put) low and high cog range instead of small and large gears. That reply was typed at work before a meeting so I had to hurry. My bad.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
oh yes i typed incorrectly! after little more tweaking only 2 gears are causing chain to rub inside derailleur. big-big and small-small. but as you said they are to be avoided in any case so I don't want to tweak it more and spoil it altogether. Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...