Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Making a bike from scratch and costs
I want to build about 5 decent basic bikes - how do i start from scratch - how do i get the frames, all parts , and cheap costs. whats the best way to do this

any suggestions
Are you talking new components or used? My brother used to go to the dump and get bikes that were thrown away and takes parts off one to put on another. He would clean them up, paint them and then give them to needy children. You can go that route and other than the paint, cleaning solvents and your time, it won't cost you very much.

If you are talking new components, Google, Bing and Craigslist are your best best.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
what style of bike ? what will they be used for? why do you want to build from scratch? this will help us help you if we know more about your plans.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
no all from scratch as a like a project - I want to make and sell around 5 - 10 bikes, How do i start - I know i need a type of steel frame which needs to be light, as well as getting all new good cheap parts . Bike has to look eye catching - any ideas

and to sell these bikes, how much profit i would make from the cost ive put in to how much im going to sell each bike.

Where would be the best place to buy bulk new bike parts

The bike i want to make - A standard decent strong light mountain bike with all accessories - thats going to please a customer
If you look on ebay, there are people selling no-name new frames at pretty low prices. Buying full sets of new components isn't going to be cheap. If you have a resellers license and can buy wholesale it's going to be a lot cheaper, but you're still going to end up spending a lot more to build a bike than any bike company does. So there's no easy way for you to sell a bike cheaper than a bike company and make a profit. "Economies of scale"

Most of the people who sell bikes as a side project refurbish used bikes. But to do this in any profitable way pretty much requires that you do the labor yourself.

If you're trying to find a way to make money off the current bike boom, I'd suggest looking for a small accessory or service that isn't offered much. If you try to just do the same thing that a whole bunch of very big companies already do, you aren't going to get very far.
(03-10-2011, 03:17 PM)DaveM Wrote:  Most of the people who sell bikes as a side project refurbish used bikes. But to do this in any profitable way pretty much requires that you do the labor yourself.

This is what we do at my shop. We have deals with nearby colleges/high schools where once every 2 months we get to come in and claim any unused bikes laying around. We then bring them back to our shop and fix them up ourselves and sell for profit. Makes pretty decent money for a side-job.

There's no way I would try to do it with brand new bikes. I just sounds like money draining out of my pocket doing that.
i thought you were gonna rent them out and needed something strong and easy to service. i really like your idea, and i wish you all the luck in the world, but its awfully hard to compete with walmart selling bikes under $100. i understand the quality is different, but most people don't. a flashy paint job and low sticker attract them.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
I'm actually in the process of finding a bike to buy right now, and the thought of building one scratch did cross my mind. At best you're looking at $500 for all new parts (and that's low quality) per bike. If you wanted to make something decent that could compete with a Orbea, Giant, Treck, etc tack on another $700 per bike. It's not cheap.

If your heart is set on it though, check craigslist for frames as I've noticed you can get a pretty good deal there. I would also recommended going fixed gear instead of multispeed because that will cut down on costs a lot.
this is the problem for me , The parts are so dear yet a company can sell the bikes for less than $100 - i dont get it -

how do these companies do it - obviously i would have to mass produce loads of bikes and most doubt make a profit.

do these companies get mass produce parts for cheap?

il think i wont make any bikes for my project - fat to expensive- il go another direction and just report on a project on making a thousand bikes - but this is the task im stuck on lol-

from making thousand bikes and selling them at a reasonable price to make a profit. i would have to look into renting premises, costs for parts and materials and get a reasonable price to sell the mountain bikes.
Quote:how do these companies do it

Because the two largest manufactures of bicycles in the world are both located in China. Actually, one in China and one in Taiwan (kind of China, but not really). Labor is cheap and if they make the parts, so are they.
HCFR Cycling Team
Location helps, but it's broader than that of course. Walk into any store and ask if you'll get a discount if you buy 10,000 of something. You can build 10,000 bikes at a much lower price per bike than you can build 5. Again...economies of scale.
Refurbishing an old bike is much better than trying to make any money building one from scratch.

The planning stage alone is staggering. And you would be competing against companies with experience and economies of scale (production costs are lower).

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
its all for a university based project anyhow - any info on how they do make this in companies and how much each part would cost
(03-12-2011, 10:46 AM)djspuddy Wrote:  its all for a university based project anyhow - any info on how they do make this in companies and how much each part would cost

Your question goes back to the planning stages being staggering. I would begin by asking yourself how many bicycles you intend to produce. If you intend to only produce 6 or 7, then the process is completely different than how a company producing 1000s would approach the same question of production. At the level you stated above, you are not a factory producer as much as you are a custom hand-made producer. I doubt you could even get a price-break on components at that level. Your competition is other custom hand-made producers and THAT is very important to know.

I would suggest that you start by composing a business plan so you can at least outline where you are going as well as get an idea of what is needed to get where you are going. It is sort of an "ends" and "means" kind of thing. If you just do that, you might get an "A." But then again, maybe the business plan is what you really needed in the first place, right? Smile

Good luck on the school work. Big Grin

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
(03-12-2011, 12:49 PM)KC-Steve Wrote:  
(03-12-2011, 10:46 AM)djspuddy Wrote:  its all for a university based project anyhow - any info on how they do make this in companies and how much each part would cost

Your question goes back to the planning stages being staggering. I would begin by asking yourself how many bicycles you intend to produce. If you intend to only produce 6 or 7, then the process is completely different than how a company producing 1000s would approach the same question of production. At the level you stated above, you are not a factory producer as much as you are a custom hand-made producer. I doubt you could even get a price-break on components at that level. Your competition is other custom hand-made producers and THAT is very important to know.

I would suggest that you start by composing a business plan so you can at least outline where you are going as well as get an idea of what is needed to get where you are going. It is sort of an "ends" and "means" kind of thing. If you just do that, you might get an "A." But then again, maybe the business plan is what you really needed in the first place, right? Smile

Steve

as a project for school. I want to design my own mountain bikes and sell them to make a profit- say i make a 1000 bikes sell them at 100 dollars each -

how do i go about doing this - i know i need bike parts and cost to buy those parts - also premises to rent to sell the bikes - how do i find these out or where can i find out roughlt how much each part would cost to build or buy in bulk , i need
Frame
Fork
Headset
Rear derailleur
Front derailleur (optional)
Brakes
Brake Levers
Shifters
Headset
Cable guide
2 x derailleur cables
2 x brake brakes
4' derailleur housing
4' brake housing
cranks
bottom bracket
pedals
wheels
cassette
chain
seat post
seat
seat clamp
brake hangers front / rear if you use cantilever brakes
stem
handlebars
tires/tubes

any help
Best place to find that information is to contact a sales rep from a wholesaler like JB Importers and see what type of deal they will give you. Most bike shops that sell on the net will not drop too much from their price because the more they drop, the less they make. Since they have to buy from a wholesaler, it would only make sense to go to them as well. However, without a proper business license and state tax account, I doubt that they will sell anything to you as a private individual or student, because your intent is to resell the items; and for that you need a state tax number and business license (in the U.S.).

You may luck out and find a wholesaler or two that does Internet sales, but you won't get the discount that a bike shop will get, plus you will have to pay the sales tax on the items you buy. Depending on how many bikes you produce and sell, you might get in hot water with the state as most states require a business license if you routinely sell more than a few items.

Have you thought about looking to do a different project?
HCFR Cycling Team
(03-24-2011, 11:02 AM)JohnV Wrote:  Best place to find that information is to contact a sales rep from a wholesaler like JB Importers and see what type of deal they will give you. Most bike shops that sell on the net will not drop too much from their price because the more they drop, the less they make. Since they have to buy from a wholesaler, it would only make sense to go to them as well. However, without a proper business license and state tax account, I doubt that they will sell anything to you as a private individual or student, because your intent is to resell the items; and for that you need a state tax number and business license (in the U.S.).

You may luck out and find a wholesaler or two that does Internet sales, but you won't get the discount that a bike shop will get, plus you will have to pay the sales tax on the items you buy. Depending on how many bikes you produce and sell, you might get in hot water with the state as most states require a business license if you routinely sell more than a few items.

Have you thought about looking to do a different project?
its not for real its just theory - basically like an assignment for school
I really don't think this is the place to find the answers you are looking for.

We are not bike builders. Just everyday riders who try to do our own repairs.

Good luck with your school project.
(03-24-2011, 02:32 PM)RBurrelli Wrote:  I really don't think this is the place to find the answers you are looking for.

We are not bike builders. Just everyday riders who try to do our own repairs.

Good luck with your school project.

He's covering all the bases, or, if you wish, shifting through all the gears. He's doing a good job at that. The volume thing (and how cyclists can redress that) is getting missed, but then I didn't see his assignment. Most school assignments are graded on the student's process rather than result.
(03-24-2011, 08:44 AM)djspuddy Wrote:  
(03-12-2011, 12:49 PM)KC-Steve Wrote:  

Steve

as a project for school. I want to design my own mountain bikes and sell them to make a profit- say i make a 1000 bikes sell them at 100 dollars each -

how do i go about doing this - i know i need bike parts and cost to buy those parts - also premises to rent to sell the bikes - how do i find these out or where can i find out roughlt how much each part would cost to build or buy in bulk , i need
Frame
Fork
Headset
....... snip
tires/tubes

any help

Take a look at Amazon.com ; then make (and carefully state in your plan) an assumption that you can get the parts for xx% (say 20%) less.

A wholesaler is not likely to provide the information you desire - too much work on their part for no return.

Google "factory square foot cost" to get an idea of the building cost.

Google is your friend.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...