Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Pedals slipping. What's my problem?
Hi all, I just joined because I have a problem with my bike and I would like to identify it properly. I have a Raleigh city bike that's three years old. I have not treated it as well as I should have (I've left it out in the rain and snow). I have used paint thinner to clean the chain and gears as well. (I know I'm a bad boy). Last year I started having a problem with pedaling.

Sometimes while biking, the pedals will slip. I will push down but the pedal doesn't bite or catch, or it does and then seems to release the 'catch' all of a sudden. It's as if I were back-pedaling on a ten speed though I'm front pedaling. This is particularly noticeable in the morning and after a rain. I, therefore, think it has something to do with water, cold and/or condensation.

On a cold morning I am unable to get my bike to 'catch' the pedals at all. I often dare not coast either because when resuming pedaling, the pedal can slip. This is dangerous. I have nearly fallen a number of times because of the slippage.

Does anyone know what the problem is and what needs fixing?

Thanks for your help.
Is this a multi-speed or single speed bike? A bit more information about the bike itself would help.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
(03-12-2011, 06:01 PM)JohnV Wrote:  Is this a multi-speed or single speed bike? A bit more information about the bike itself would help.

It's an 18 speed. Here's more info
http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2006&Brand=Raleigh&Model=Venture%204.0&Type=bike

Cheers
Sounds like the teeth in your free hub body are sticking. You first need to remove the cassette and than the free hub body spray cleaner into it let drip and than spray lubricant. It may free them up or replace. Check how to videos on this site.
http://bikeride.com/replace-cassette-cluster/

http://bikeride.com/freehub-body/feed/
Never Give Up!!!
Almost certainly a 6 speed screw on freewheel and not a cassette.
Once these start missing, you can do little but replace with new, try your LBS for a quote.
If you let your chain get rusty, you will almost certainly need to replace this also.
(03-13-2011, 05:53 PM)trevgbb Wrote:  Almost certainly a 6 speed screw on freewheel and not a cassette.
Once these start missing, you can do little but replace with new, try your LBS for a quote.
If you let your chain get rusty, you will almost certainly need to replace this also.

Thanks guys. Does this mean the whole freewheel needs replacing or just the screw? I've looked for images of the screw and just get pictures of freewheels. What does the screw look like?

Cheers
First, You need to lubricating the ballbearing and screw of pedals. if this will not work then you relpace it.
Bike Rack || Bike Rack Reviews
(03-14-2011, 02:38 AM)Crackpothead Wrote:  Thanks guys. Does this mean the whole freewheel needs replacing or just the screw? I've looked for images of the screw and just get pictures of freewheels. What does the screw look like?

Cheers

Replace the whole freewheel and chain. Freewheels generally are not worth servicing. They are replaced as a unit most of the time.
Yesterday I took apart rear hub to grease it. There are two metal "teeth" which actually spin rear wheel. They are held and pushed out by thin metal ring. This ring is probably broken or "teeth" are stuck because grease dried out. Take hub apart, clean old grease by brake cleaner and fill it with bearing grease (that is what I used, maybe there is special bicycle grease)

[Image: teeth.jpg]
(04-08-2011, 08:36 PM)car5car Wrote:  Yesterday I took apart rear hub to grease it. There are two metal "teeth" which actually spin rear wheel. They are held and pushed out by thin metal ring. This ring is probably broken or "teeth" are stuck because grease dried out. Take hub apart, clean old grease by brake cleaner and fill it with bearing grease (that is what I used, maybe there is special bicycle grease)

[Image: teeth.jpg]

These are what Sheldon Brown calls 'pawls' i guess.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html
I have a bike that doesn't catch at all at any time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-01-2020, 02:10 AM
Last Post: Jesper

07-29-2016, 03:42 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET

09-06-2014, 07:35 AM
Last Post: cny-man