Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
Maintenance After Storage
Hi All,

The only thing I know about bikes is the fact that the back wheel follows the front! Having said that, I need some advice please as to what kind of things I need to do to two bikes (one has normal brakes and the other has discs) that have been in the garage for just over a year now. I have noticed that the gears are quite sticky (not able to select all gears and can only get two cogs on the front) and that the brakes squeal and feel quite spongy when applied. There is also the feeling that the pedal is slipping slightly upon completion of a rotation. All help and advice for this bike novice greatly appreciated! Many thanks.
(03-15-2011, 10:18 AM)bobsuzi1000 Wrote:  Hi All,

The only thing I know about bikes is the fact that the back wheel follows the front! Having said that, I need some advice please as to what kind of things I need to do to two bikes (one has normal brakes and the other has discs) that have been in the garage for just over a year now. I have noticed that the gears are quite sticky (not able to select all gears and can only get two cogs on the front) and that the brakes squeal and feel quite spongy when applied. There is also the feeling that the pedal is slipping slightly upon completion of a rotation. All help and advice for this bike novice greatly appreciated! Many thanks.

Hello bobsuzi1000,
First welcome to the forums! Smile Next try watching this video...
http://bicycletutor.com/tune-up/ . After that just go to the home page of this site you will see many videos dealing with different parts of the bike.

More questions are certainly welcome,
Bill
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My bike has been in storage for awhile—is it safe to ride? eastman 2 3,664 03-19-2015, 09:51 PM
Last Post: DaveM
  Preventative Maintenance KC-Steve 1 5,743 06-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Last Post: Bill
  Winter storage peterpaddlehikebikerun 3 5,677 02-06-2010, 03:04 AM
Last Post: jr14
  Maintenance Schedule jdmara 5 4,862 09-26-2008, 01:48 AM
Last Post: Skyguy9999
  Suggestions for Maintenance Manual? Nulver 2 3,840 08-27-2008, 04:58 AM
Last Post: Aushiker