Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

The MTB beginnings (Klunkers)
Hi to all from the blue grass state.

Since buying a cruiser I've become interested in bike history. It seems that off-road biking came about in the 70's in N. California (I'm probably stating something well known by this forum). It's strange to imagine the humble beginnings of an industry that began from a group of guys with balloon tire bikes modified for rough terrain.

There's a supposed movie made on "Klunkers" I hope to find. There was a biking event hosted in Colorado just for such cyclist.

It just goes to show you can be a "shade-tree" mechanic and piece together something that can handle a harsh environment.

Anyone out there building a "Klunker"?
2011softcruise

“Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.”
Airplane (1980) – Rex Kramer (Robert Stack)

do yourself a favor and check out ratrodbikes.com. you'll be glad you did. also, i like your ride, would like to see more pics of it.
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
We'll do.

Thanks for the feedback. I was bummed out by the bike shops reaction to it.

Some cool "ole' school" stuff on ratrodbikes.

Over the next few weeks I'll make some changes and update with pics.
2011softcruise

“Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.”

We did "offroad" riding back in the fifties and I know it was done on normal bikes by people much older than me - and that's saying something. Smile
We used mainly old bikes with 26" wheels but narrow-ish tires.
The "clunkers" of the seventies, as far as I understand, was the start of "downhilling" and yes were attributed to some guys in California.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downhill_mountain_biking
Ride hard or ride home alone!
I think most men look at a factory made product and ponder ways to personalize it. Ratrods, hotrods and extreme biking all probably born from the imaginations of people wanting more performance and capability.

I recently began looking at old board track bikes. Who would have thought a motorized bicycle could reach 100 MPH by guys in leather hats.

Altering/ modifying bicycles probably has a history even surpassing the 50's.

I would wonder how the bikes of the 50's tolerated offroading. It seems to me products made years ago may have been heavier but were better quality/ strength than today's products.
2011softcruise