Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur
* Now with 3D interactive instructions
Problems shifting gears (main ones on chainrings)
Hi guys,

I'd be most grateful if anyone could provide a little advice about my shifters/gears.

The shifter that works the rear derailleur seems to be having problems. It's a SRAM X-9 rapidfire trigger, leading to an X-0 rear derailleur.

Sometimes when I'm on the hardest of the chainrings and I try to switch down to the middle one, it gets stuck, in other words doesn't change down & renders the shifter unusable temporarily. The only way to bring it back to life again seems to be to alternate between upshifting & downshifting until something happens!

Can anyone tell me the cause of this? It's not all the time, just occasionally but obviously can cause fairly annoying problems especially if at the foot of a hill I'm about to climb!

Is it to do with the cables? Or the shifters? Or something else?

Muchas apprecianados fellas

Si
(03-21-2011, 08:44 AM)Dalton2250 Wrote:  Hi guys,

I'd be most grateful if anyone could provide a little advice about my shifters/gears.

The shifter that works the rear derailleur seems to be having problems. It's a SRAM X-9 rapidfire trigger, leading to an X-0 rear derailleur.

Sometimes when I'm on the hardest of the chainrings and I try to switch down to the middle one, it gets stuck, in other words doesn't change down & renders the shifter unusable temporarily. The only way to bring it back to life again seems to be to alternate between upshifting & downshifting until something happens!

Can anyone tell me the cause of this? It's not all the time, just occasionally but obviously can cause fairly annoying problems especially if at the foot of a hill I'm about to climb!

Is it to do with the cables? Or the shifters? Or something else?

Muchas apprecianados fellas

Si

Have you tried adjusting the cable tension ring where the cable goes into the shifter on the handlebars? It should turn with your fingers. Try turning it by 1/4 of a turn then see if it helps. If it worsens try turning the other direction. If that doesn't do it then you will have to have a bike tech look at it if you do not know how to adjust the front derailleur.
Check out the inner cables first. Look for loose strands or corrosion where they run through the outer housings. Remove the inners, if you can, and inspect them.
Check also where the cables run around the frame for cable wear, obstructions or dirt, especially if it goes under the bottom bracket shell..
[font=Trebuchet MS]Ride hard or ride home alone![/font]
Thanks Bubbalou & Cycler, I'll take heed of both your suggestions.

Much appreciated.

Si

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear Shifting Problems! cricket0140 5 2,796 10-19-2014, 01:08 PM
Last Post: painkiller
  Road bike gears not shifting at all tornviper 1 3,977 08-24-2014, 07:23 PM
Last Post: tornviper
  No tension in main pivot of rear derailleur (Sram X7) TKdownhill 11 8,852 12-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Last Post: cny-man
  2 problems (gears) ant161 4 5,487 01-31-2013, 06:09 AM
Last Post: neo36uk
  Shimano Alivio shifting problems BianchiBlue 4 18,858 07-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Problems with gears Quantonium 4 9,588 09-16-2011, 07:13 AM
Last Post: Joe_W
  Rear shifting problems Mike_D 1 5,791 05-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Last Post: cyclerUK
  Gears still slipping after adjustment, inconsistent shifting BigDog 1 8,001 10-31-2010, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Bill
  Middle gears - shifting issues Twenty Times 3 7,638 10-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Last Post: JohnnyCO
  Auto shifting gears... please help. porschepunk 7 11,797 10-27-2010, 08:44 AM
Last Post: trevgbb