Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Vintage Hawk Cycles Chopper. Pictures inside. Info wanted.
Hi guys.
Just got my hands on a first time project. I have done a couple of motorcycles before, mainly Puch Maxi's, but this will be my first non motor bike. I don't know much about the bike, it's got a Made in Germany sticker on the frame just below the bottom of the seat post. It has a Shimano 3 speed selector and has a very Raleigh Chopper look about it. That's all I know. Does anyone have any more info?
[attachment=3177]
[attachment=3178]
[attachment=3179]
[attachment=3180]
[attachment=3181]
[attachment=3182]
[attachment=3183]
[attachment=3184]
[attachment=3185]
There was a Hawk Cycles in the UK, based at Cradley Heath in the west midlands, went bankrupt some years ago with the owner "retiring" to Guernsey after almost destroying the cycle retail business in this area by taking on empty properties on short leases before xmas, selling below cost and not paying rents, rates, or suppliers.
Sold this type of bike in the early days through Woolworths.
Still trading but under different ownership.
Nice one for the info. The only thing I can't figure out is, if they were from Cradley Heath why has it got a Made in Germany sticker? Also doing a google search of the logo, the Hawks Cycles UK logo is different from the Hawk Cycles logo on the bikes head tube. I suppose the logo could have been updated over the years? I would say that the bike is from the mid 70's, would that be around the time Woolworths would have been selling them?
would that be around the time Woolworths would have been selling them?
yes, probably imported in bulk
Hi i cant tell you anything about this except to say its a lovely bike.
(04-25-2012, 04:21 PM)hcjg1 Wrote:  Hi i cant tell you anything about this except to say its a lovely bike.

Thanks. I think I may have to put it up for sale though, another motorcycle project has come along so this won't get too much of a look in.
Hello all... That is not an original Hawk bike... I worked there from 1984 until 1990 and then moved to Sirius Cycles or better known as Orbit where I was their master frame builder...

I knew all the bikes that we made at Cradley and that was not one of them.. my best friend made all the tools for the presses and I don't recall seeing anything like that... HOWEVER

After they went bump... a trendy guy called Nic Thake came in and started to buy bikes from all over the world so it may be one of them but defo not built in cradley....

I am now looking to carry on handbuilding bikes but can't find anyone who will come into business with me...

All the best guys and thanks for the blast from the past.... the good old days....

Chris.

Possibly Related Threads...