Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Information
Hello I am seeking information for my Engineering Design and Development class. I was wondering if anyone knew of any existing devices or add-ons to a bicycle that would allow for correction of chain slips without a rider having to stop pedaling or having to change gears? Any information on the subject is well appreciated.
"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
"correction of chain slips" - can you better explain what this means?
Hi; welcome to the forum. Sorry, we do not understand your question.

I am a Mechanical Design Engineer; probably graduated before you were born Smile.
Nigel
Hmmm I saw a gadget a while ago that "claimed" to automatically change gears, but as far as correct chain slip it would only take a little maintenance. Wink
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Sorry for the confusion, by "chain slip" i mean when the bicycle chain jumps completely off the gears. I know i've had troubles with this but i am unsure of whether or not they make a device to help with this.
"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
None I know I know . Just as I said above only with replacement or the proper adjustments for example the high limit and low limit adjustment screws in the front derailler, make sure chain rings are not bent, even the chain can cause this if it is stretched out too much.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(04-01-2011, 08:49 AM)nlreid44 Wrote:  Sorry for the confusion, by "chain slip" i mean when the bicycle chain jumps completely off the gears. I know i've had troubles with this but i am unsure of whether or not they make a device to help with this.

If you're talking about the chain jumping off of the front chain rings there are at least two devices available that I'm aware of;

http://www.rei.com/product/670913
http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/whatis.html

Google "Chain Watcher" and you'll probably find others.

Regards,
Dan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

11-12-2014, 07:41 AM
Last Post: chipguy1