Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
Transferring cassette to hub help?
I am replacing my rear wheel and need help figuring out how to move the cassette (the 5 sprockets) from my old wheels freehub to the new one. I see 2 indentations about an inch into the center hole, one of which you can see at 12 o'clock in the picture below, can I am thinking those are what I need to grab on to and turn but I do not know for sure. The only writing that I can see on the hub/cassette is "Shimano". No number or any other id.

[Image: 100_2451.JPG]

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
Hi and welcome to the forums. Ok I borrowed your picture to asked you a couple questions. Where the left arrow points is it possible to get a closer view of that ring with a picture? You want to take the first five gears (cogs) off of this one to put on a new one? The other arrow shows where you may have to separate the freewheel/freehub off of this wheel if this is the one you are taking the gears off of.
If I am wrong in my understanding please do specify.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(04-01-2011, 01:26 PM)sasjzl Wrote:  I am replacing my rear wheel and need help figuring out how to move the cassette (the 5 sprockets) from my old wheels freehub to the new one. I see 2 indentations about an inch into the center hole, one of which you can see at 12 o'clock in the picture below, cand I am thinking those are what I need to grab on to and turn but I do not know for sure. The only writing that I can see on the hub/cassette is "Shimano". No number or any other id.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee

That ring on the outside needs to be removed to gain access to the 7 gear cassette you have. This can be done with the proper tool that inserts into the ring. That will allow the entire unit to come free.
This is a 7 speed cassette, older ones did have separate rings but they no longer do.
you need a cassette remover and a chain whip plus a spanner to fit the hex on the tool,
Insert the tool into the spline, hold the cassette with the chain whip and rotate the tool anti-clockwise, the lockring will unscrew and the cassette can be removed.
[attachment=2058]
[attachment=2059]
Most excellent.
I thank you all.

Jim Lee