Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Trek730 remake
From pee-wee herman fat cushy seat style
21 speed hybrid with grip shifters to a transformed 14speed street raper.
I think it is a 1998 model multitrack 730, bought it from a 70 year old
guy that broke the fork.
It had dust and spider poop all over it, and been just sitting in the garage
for about 10 years.
I swapped out almost everything. It handles like a 700c mtn bike and with
the 11t rear and the 53t front ring it sings like a road bike.
shifters are deoreII top mount thumb,frt derail. deoreDX,r.derail deoreXT
and deore brake levers.
Let me know what ya think.
[attachment=2063][attachment=2062]
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Dang! That bike looks nice!
Very, very nice job you did fixing it up. It does look like it would scream going down the road.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
thankyou ! Just having a little fun making one of a kinder
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I am a 51 year old who still thinks I am 20 ! I built this for racing down parking decks and downtown
sidewalk slaloms and commuting to work. Ride Hard Live Long....
guy your bike looks sweet and if it could talk it would be saying, 'i'm all business dont mess with me i'm proper fast' stance, even though its not moving, which only few bikes have.
If you are 51 and feel 20 and I am 45... I am not supposed to be drinking this beer. Thumbies Rock, old man!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Thats funny, I said I think I am still twenty. I feel 60 at times. and that rear pack will hold a beer or
three!
60 is a lot of beers! Welcome to BT, pk!
I just keep getting in deeper. love your humor, makes my day! You seem like a great bunch of people
on this site. Thanks again
Nothing wrong with being experienced. I'm 64 and cycling is pretty much all I feel like doing lately. Picked it up again at 63 and have gone through three bikes since. Getting ready to do an MS 150 next month and a 250 later in the summer with possibly some other rides in-between. You gotta love the rewards, half of the meds I was taking are now history.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
Pretty nice trek!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
This is a great recovery job!! I'd just replace the straight handlebars for one of those modern MTB handlebars which are very comfortable for commuting, at least posture-wise. The back spannier holder is awesome. I'm going to get one of those for my bike!
Thanks, You can really change the whole feel of a bike by handle bar and stem rise and extension thats for sure. rear racks and packs love em.
Oh, that's so true. I have been using flat handlebars all my cycling life. Them recently, even before I got my Specialized Globe Sport, I started to fall in love with curved handlebars, the racing ones, due to the speed capabilities of road bikes. Then I started to dig further and realized that posture is really important if you are cycling for commuting and not for sports like I am most of the time. That's why i also need the rear racks, since I always carry a briefcase or a bag Smile
Sorry to bring such an old thread to life but I have to say:
Beautiful!!!! I got an old 7000 with a few customizations already... but your bike looks nice!
Are those the original rims? If not, what kind (size) of rims are those, and what kind (size) of tires are you using?
My bike has the original Matrix Singletrack rims but with 1.95 street tires... I want to put something thinner on those wheels, just don't know what...
(07-06-2012, 11:42 PM)jeracravo Wrote:  Sorry to bring such an old thread to life but I have to say:
Beautiful!!!! I got an old 7000 with a few customizations already... but your bike looks nice!
Are those the original rims? If not, what kind (size) of rims are those, and what kind (size) of tires are you using?
My bike has the original Matrix Singletrack rims but with 1.95 street tires... I want to put something thinner on those wheels, just don't know what...

Thanks for the kind words! yes, 700c wheels are original and matrix I think. The bike and I have parted ways and will forever remain in my heart and soul. I sold it last year and modified my 2011 Gt Tachyon to use as a daily commuter/street banger/Midnight rider/chic magnet.
The tires were Hutchinson top slickII 700x32c , they were good higher pressure tires with a built in thorn strip, were a true slick and stuck like glue. However I have my doubts about Hutchinson top slick II tires because the sides of the tires crazed and micro cracked all over. Nashbar replaced them and those did it also, and a buddy of mine bought some and did the same thing. I have never had a problem like that with tires in my life unless they were 20 years old and rotted.
Never again will I purchase a Hutchinson tire of any kind because of the lack of Consumer to Company contact. I could not find any direct phone number to talk to them to send them back for R+D
and got tired of having nashbar send replacements. I told them to pull from stock and stop selling them. I told the guy who bought the bike about the new tires on it and showed him the cracked ones. I was going to pull the ad the day he wanted to see the bike
and he rode it thought it was sweet and took it.
I felt I had to tell him to keep an eye on them because they will fail. My buddy and I had a few replacements.
I need to know that if I blast down a mean hill and hit speeds over 50mph while hanging a hard lean in a curve that my tires are not going to blow apart and these would do that in due time.
Anyway thanks for the post and good luck with your Trek, It looks real nice, you should have fun with that. "Ride hard live long"
Bob - it just occured to me that your 730 looks suspiciously similar to the FX line. Not that Trek will send you any money for your torn-up Stuperman costume but... just saying.
Jeracravo - we are cool with old thread revivals. Sometimes we really need that! PK in particular. He's super-fast!
Personally, I think painkiller could do with some tires that are more 'volumous', if you catch my drift. Smile
commuter/street banger/Midnight rider/chic magnet.

Chic magnet? Really?? Can we say that at BT?
Gotta love ya Robar! Ok, I got a little carried away with the chic magnet thang.thanks for keeping it real. I am down to around 215lbs now. I hope I did not not violate bike tutor censorship. I may have to investigate you violating some type of anti-trust law! Smile
If you trust me, bring it on.