Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Shifting cable back screw
I've successfully replaced my back shifting cable, but I am having trouble getting the screw that secures the cable to the back end of the bike back in its place.

I took a picture before I removed the screw, which is blue in color (see pic). As you can see, to put the screw there, you would have to somehow reach behind with the screw and fit it in the hole, which is proving to be next to impossible because its really narrow there.

I would appreciate any suggestions!

Los
Have you tried removing the rear derailleur from the hanger and putting the screw back in before reattaching the cable?
you do not need to completely remove the nut to fit a new cable, this prevents this happening.
Now put the nut back on a couple of turns to stop the screw dropping out and "fiddle" around at the back with the flat of the blade of small screwdriver, you should be able to push the head of the screw into position and hold it there to refit the nut and tabbed washer properly.
The head of the screw is shaped to fit against a stop at the back and does not need a screwdriver to hold whilst tightening.
You can also find setting up info here;
http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp
(04-05-2011, 11:54 AM)RBurrelli Wrote:  Have you tried removing the rear derailleur from the hanger and putting the screw back in before reattaching the cable?

no, is it difficult to do?

Also, I guess 1/2 of the screw was coated blue so you dont unscrew it too far...
What kind of derailleur is it? I've never seen one where you have to put the screwdriver in an inaccessible place to get to the screw head! The blue is probably residual loctite.
(04-05-2011, 10:13 PM)dave_sd Wrote:  What kind of derailleur is it?

Its Shimano Altus.

Im not wanting to take of the derailleur because I'll have to readjust everything. However this is looking like the only option..

Possibly Related Threads...