Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
First real project
So I have started the process to build a MTB from the frame up as a side project from second handish parts. Mainly because I want to learn and I love tinkering with stuff.

I have a great fork and an amazing frame. I know for a fact I need to have a headset installed but in I'm just not sure how to measure them to make sure they fit.

Just a few questions, and I apologize if these have already been answered I did not see anything in my searches.
1. Am I correct in thinking that the inner diameter of the crown barring needs to be super snug on the steerer tube?
2. What numbers are important when fitting a headset? (what should I be looking for or not worrying about number wise )

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
(04-08-2011, 02:50 AM)rpalmertree Wrote:  ...<snip>...

1. Am I correct in thinking that the inner diameter of the crown barring needs to be super snug on the steerer tube?
2. What numbers are important when fitting a headset? (wht should I be looking for or not worrying about number wise )
...<snip>...
Hi Ryan;

First; do you have a threaded or threadless headset?

If threadless:
1. no; the bearings should be very loose on the head tube - loose balls even if you have the patience to install them - you can fit more balls without the retainer, thus resulting in significantly stiffer headset. The balls (with or without a retainer) end up have angular contact between two surfaces.
[Image: k_a2_1_e.gif]
The image above shows a commercial ball bearing (aka sealed bearing as used in higher end hubs and cranksets). In the heads set, both the inner and outer races have a single land - they are often replaceable, and always hard steel alloy.

2. decide on loose balls, or balls in a retainer.

If you have a threadless headset things are a bit different.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html
Nigel
Hey Nigel, thanks for the response!

The headset needs to be pressed in so threadless. I think the BBB said something like .1 to .25 is acceptable tolerances for a press fit.

So if my head tube was 33.4mm I would need to find a headset that was around 33.3mm - 33.1mm?

I'll checkout what Sheldon says today thanks for link!

Thanks,
Ryan
(04-08-2011, 03:18 AM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(04-08-2011, 02:50 AM)rpalmertree Wrote:  ...<snip>...

2. What numbers are important when fitting a headset? (wht should I be looking for or not worrying about number wise )
...<snip>...
Hi Ryan;

First; do you have a threaded or threadless headset?

[size=large]If threaded:[/size] oops !!!!!
1. no; the bearings should be very loose on the head tube - loose balls even if you have the patience to install them - you can fit more balls without the retainer, thus resulting in significantly stiffer headset. The balls (with or without a retainer) end up have angular contact between two surfaces.
[Image: k_a2_1_e.gif]
The image above shows a commercial ball bearing (aka sealed bearing as used in higher end hubs and cranksets). In the heads set, both the inner and outer races have a single land - they are often replaceable, and always hard steel alloy.

2. decide on loose balls, or balls in a retainer.

If you have a threadless headset things are a bit different.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html

sorry about that, should have gone to bed instead of responding.
Nigel