Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Schwinn Skyliner

Related video tutorials:
momule Offline

Missouri, USA
Schwinn Skyliner
hey all...

I have an opportunity to buy this pretty much brand new bike from a disgruntled Walmart buyer and would appreciate some input from others who are smarter than I. This should mean...about all of you.

Posted price was originally 150 and when I pointed out that Wally World sold these at about that same price and I offered 50, the seller got pissed and said that the rack on it was worth 50. So.....I said that if he was to keep the rack could I have the bike for free since I already have two racks in my garage.

I want the frame for a build but he now wants 100. The components are totally undamaged but I would only use them on a buyit/fixit/sell it bike.

Any thoughts in the community?

Things are getting worse faster than I can lower my standards
Dec 30, 2010 04:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DaveM Offline
Veteran Member

RE: Schwinn Skyliner
Well, $100 for a roughly new bike that goes for $150 seems fair, especially if he did put on some accessories. That said, I wouldn't invest a whole lot of time building a bike onto a frame that came on a $150 bike. Putting nicer parts on a junky frame doesn't give you a great bike.

I'm not sure what your ultimate goal is. But if it's a good frame/parts for what you're building, so be it.
Dec 30, 2010 06:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
momule Offline

Missouri, USA
(Dec 30, 2010 06:45 PM)DaveM Wrote:  Well, $100 for a roughly new bike that goes for $150 seems fair, especially if he did put on some accessories. That said, I wouldn't invest a whole lot of time building a bike onto a frame that came on a $150 bike. Putting nicer parts on a junky frame doesn't give you a great bike.

I'm not sure what your ultimate goal is. But if it's a good frame/parts for what you're building, so be it.

My goal is to put my gal on a bike that she may not even ride. She expresses interest but when push comes to shove she finds a reason not to ride. She camps and canoes etc so it's not like she's adverse to outside stuff. GRRRRRR.....

I already have bought and then sold a 1800 dollar trike that she liked and then ignored. If it wasn't for the fact that in most other ways she's a damn fine person I wouldn't bother. And NO, I am not going to quit my almost daily 15 mile ride around town but I would really like her to join in the fun. And, YES, i do understand that this issue is outside of the parameters of our bike forum....sorry......

Thanks for your input and I totally understand and agree with what you said. Part of my post is just me venting to a "hopefully' understanding community of riders.

Dec 30, 2010 10:25 PM
X-RAY Offline

western PA
same problem here. says they are too bumpy (she is rather top-heavy) and doesn't like the seats. the kids are hounding her to ride also. she did have a good experience on my mtb, i plan to trade her hardtail she doesn't ride for a dual suspender this summer and see how that goes. your not alone, dude.

Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
Dec 30, 2010 10:46 PM
momule Offline

Missouri, USA
My answer is to just keep on getting on my bike since I did this before her appearance and will probably do so afterwards.

I think that if she was a bad person she wouldn't be so darn good in every other way so I may end up just riding alone. I know, I should count my blessings right?

Thanks for at least allowing me to feel that I'm not the only one........

Dec 30, 2010 11:02 PM
Bill Offline
Veteran Member

NY,USA
Little input if you don't mind. Simple answer stop trying to get her to ride. She may come around eventually. Go on your daily ride and let things happen on their own Wink .

As far as what Dave was saying is that with Bikes you get what ya pay for Wink.

Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Dec 31, 2010 08:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
momule Offline

Missouri, USA
(Dec 31, 2010 08:37 AM)Bill Wrote:  Little input if you don't mind. Simple answer stop trying to get her to ride. She may come around eventually. Go on your daily ride and let things happen on their own Wink .

As far as what Dave was saying is that with Bikes you get what ya pay for Wink.

It always seems that I do things the hard way for a while until I have that "AH-HA" moment and then pull my head out of my backside. I appreciate the input and will attempt to do things that way. Fortunately Susie and I aren't trying to ride a tandem.

Dec 31, 2010 11:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Need Advice: Vintage Trek vs Schwinn Caceres18 17 3,520 Aug 18, 2013 02:34 PM
Last Post: 1FJEF
  Restoring 1964 Schwinn Stingray liquid93 6 1,538 Aug 6, 2013 04:31 PM
Last Post: liquid93
  Help identifying Schwinn Tonyc 6 4,380 Aug 1, 2013 02:49 PM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Date and Model of my Schwinn Tandem mike50036 2 1,279 May 4, 2013 04:30 AM
Last Post: mike50036
  Plz identify Schwinn My Fair Lady pzniazi 2 1,695 Feb 25, 2013 03:50 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET
  Schwinn World Tourist Single Speed Conversion Ftyuiok 5 3,436 Oct 6, 2012 07:42 AM
Last Post: Ftyuiok
  Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 decals fredtman 1 1,949 Jul 30, 2012 07:44 PM
Last Post: Bill
  Schwinn Woodlands Mtn. Bike. Macintosh. 7 8,248 May 21, 2012 02:22 PM
Last Post: Tim M
  Vintage Schwinn Super Le Tour Miroslaw 8 13,610 May 10, 2012 06:38 AM
Last Post: silvercreek
  1984 Schwinn Traveler mongo44 8 4,756 Apr 5, 2012 08:28 AM
Last Post: nfmisso