Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Locks
Hello guys,

I have been looking for a safe way to lock my bike. I don't leave it alone for long periods of time; only when I commute for work, during the day.

I own a Kryptonite Evolution Mini 7 lock with a cable. I grab the back frame triangle and a few spokes to a lamppost and secure the front wheel with a cable.

I was wondering if I should get another lock, like the Kryptonite NY Mini Fahgettaboutit (or something like this) which is very strong, or a similar Evolution Mini lock to secure the front wheel.

The bike is a Specialized Globe Sport, which used to be sold by 450 euro and I bought it barely used for 200.

Please let me know what do you think Smile

Regards,

Portellini
It really depends on the crime level in the area you leave it. Like for me living way up on North Shore in Hawaii, there's barely any risk of my bike getting stolen. I still have a good lock for my bike though. However if you go to a big city for work where there are tons of people and what not, you might want to invest in a high-quality lock.
Why not Google bike insurance company's as they normally have lists of the best locks around, although they may also be the meatiest locks too.
This is how I lock up my bicycle.
http://www.missinglink.org/page/how-lock-bike
Always make sure your rear wheel is secured as well as the frame.Smile
Hope this helps.Smile

Remember it's mind over matter
if you don't mind it doesn't matter

Ride more drive less
Generally speaking, security is a balance of locking device's and convienence.While some may find one hand operation without the key easy to use there is a another side to the story. Specifically, If you need the key to lock your padlock you can be assured you had the key when you locked it eg. you go out lock your bike, when its time to go home you realize you do not have your keys....then go to Locksmith for the new keys.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-02-2011, 04:08 AM
Last Post: lilybay