Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
Formula Hub Freewheel Removal
The freewheel on my Formula hub has gotten stiff. I was able to remove the axle and clean and relube the wheel bearings. However I was not able to remove the freehub. I inserted a 12mm allen and could not turn it. I applied some heavy duty force but it didn't budge. I watched the video here on removing the freewheel body and it seemed like I tried the correct steps. Was I correct? If not, how do I remove this freehub. Thank you for responses. Happy trails to all.
Freewheels require a LOT of torque to remove. I use a 15" breaker bar with the appropriate Park Tool remover. Make sure you are turning it in the correct direction - the opposite of which the chain pulls it when riding.

This one area where only premium tools should be used, a shattering one results in shrapnel - with great potential to maim or kill.
Nigel
(04-18-2011, 02:51 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  Freewheels require a LOT of torque to remove. I use a 15" breaker bar with the appropriate Park Tool remover. Make sure you are turning it in the correct direction - the opposite of which the chain pulls it when riding.

This one area where only premium tools should be used, a shattering one results in shrapnel - with great potential to maim or kill.

Thank you for the response. I just was not aware that it required so much torque. Yes, I was turning it in the correct direction. Ok, I know what to do now.