Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Stuck bearing cup...
Hi guys.

I'm trying to renovate an old bike for resale. I'm in the process of stripping down the bike and removing all rusted or non-reusable parts. The bottom bracket is completely shot but i can't for the life of me remove the damn thing! I've tried both sides. Both peddles are off and i've removed the lock ring but the bearing cups (i think that's what they're called) are stuck fast. It's the same bracket as the video tutorial on this site and i'm using the correct tools.

Any tips for loosening this?

Yours hopefully,
Matt.
(04-17-2011, 02:31 PM)Mattavelli Wrote:  ......Any tips for loosening this?
Hi Matt;

I suggest starting with some penetrant; WD-40 or similar. Try to make sure that it only goes where you want it to.

Make sure you are trying un-doing it in the correct direction.

If after soaking and re-applying the penetrant for a few days, you can't get it loose; I would try applying some heat to the BB shell, while keeping the cups cool (wet paper towels).
Nigel
Hi Nigel,

Thanks, i've sprayed some WD-40 on before i put it away - so the WD-40 keeps working over night then?
(04-17-2011, 04:47 PM)Mattavelli Wrote:  Hi Nigel,

Thanks, i've sprayed some WD-40 on before i put it away - so the WD-40 keeps working over night then?

Yes. After you get it apart, clean the WD-40 (or other penetrant) off with solvent (alcohol will work). If you don't, it will gum up the works.
Nigel
Excellent - thank you Nigel, i'll let you know how it goes.
(04-17-2011, 05:32 PM)Mattavelli Wrote:  Excellent - thank you Nigel, i'll let you know how it goes.

if you can put a long pipe or breaker bar on your tool that will give
you extra torque to pop it loose
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
^If that doesn't work (and you've made sure you're turning it the correct way), then make sure the bike is securely clamped, put the breaker bar/pipe on it and smash it with a hammer (make sure the tool doesn't fall off in the process).

Once it's started moving it should come out no probs.
(04-18-2011, 12:28 PM)JonB Wrote:  ... and smash it with a hammer...
:O Jon! Isn't that a bit drastic??!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
I meant the breaker bar not the bike Wink
Thanks guys - i was just coming on to bemoan my lack of success when i saw the new comments. I'll try them and get back to you.
I feel for you. Searching for solutions myself. I bid on a second hand Scott frame. So far I've broken my adjustable spanner. Then bent the shaft and broken the ratchet inside my socket wrench. I put a pipe over both of them that extended leverage to about 2 foot.

The splines have also broken off my bottom bracket tool. That was from standing with my full weight on my new foot long 24mm spanner bought especially for the job and pushing down (up) with all my might against the stair bannister. Before that I'd sprayed it two or three times daily with wd-40 for 2 days as I'd read there was no point trying till I'd done this first on an old bike. I also tried alternate boiling and ice water. I can't heat it more as its an alloy frame.

In frustration I then broke a drill bit. I tried to drill and then saw it out. Not even a scratch on the BB which also blunted my punch when I tried to make a mark for my drill to start on.

I gave in and took it to the local bike shop. I thought they'd have special tools and the experience. I thought they'd try the vice trick I've read about. I don't have a sturdy bench with a vice so I can't try that. 3 days later and they rang up in defeat. Said they'd never seen anything like it and had tried every trick they knew. I've just picked it up now. It was mocking me on the way home, stabbing its tapered splines in my knees every couple of steps as I walked.

It thinks it has won but I have a surprise for it tomorrow. My dremel alike should arrive with its diamond coated cutting disks. I've read it should take 2 days and about 6 disks. I'll let you know. I was searching around for the best way to attack it from people who have done it before and found your post.
Instead of WD 40, have you tried coating the cups with naval jelly? Brush it on heavy and let it sit and soak and see if that helps. It's available at your favorite hardware or home improvement store.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
had this problem myself a few weeks ago,all i ended up doing was flipping the bike upside down and the took a blowtorch to the outside of the bottom bracket,took about 90 seconds and then it came free with a little bit of force and a nice long wrench,the frame is 6061 alloy id give it a go if i were you.
ride until your wheels fall off
(06-01-2011, 01:22 PM)mrdunk Wrote:  had this problem myself a few weeks ago,all i ended up doing was flipping the bike upside down and the took a blowtorch to the outside of the bottom bracket,took about 90 seconds and then it came free with a little bit of force and a nice long wrench,the frame is 6061 alloy id give it a go if i were you.

a plumbing torch or similar will work fine an aluminum frame, and mrdunk noted; a minute or two is sufficient. Aluminum expands a lot faster than steel. Should work fine on a steel frame too.
Nigel
Naval Jelly is not on sale in the UK. Sounds like useful stuff tho. Plus gas looks like the best release stuff available over here and that's hard to find too.

Mini butane blow torch on the way. Will give that a go before hacking it out with the dremel.

Has any one heard of fake park tools out there? I bought a park tools BBT-22 bracket tool to replace the chewed tool that came with my bike hand tool kit. It arrived today and gave it a quick go and 3 teeth snapped off. I wasn't even giving it full beans as I'm waiting for the big spanner, blow torch and a long bolt I've ordered to attach it to the crank to stop it slipping off. I thought it was meant to be pro shop quality. This one was half the price compared to everyone else but even then still more expensive than other makes. I was a bit surprised. :-)
yeah theres fake everything available online the price is usually the giveaway i got myself a toolkit from halfords cost about £30 and had everything i need to remove the bottom bracket and do a lot of other jobs as well id put up a link but the halfords site is unavailable for some reason.
ride until your wheels fall off

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

02-06-2016, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Lighttower

05-19-2015, 08:48 AM
Last Post: alexwang32

05-08-2015, 06:56 PM