Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Schwinn Jaguar Rear Derailleur
Hello All,

I am a biking noob so forgive the ignorance here. I got a Schwinn Jaguar from Target a few years ago. It's just a beach cruiser, but has a 7 speed twist shifter.

A while back I had it parked out in front of my apartment as I ran into the house for something for a few minutes. Well long story short the neighbor kids were running around and "accidentally" knocked it over, which ended up breaking the rear derailleur.

It was all bent up and the little plastic gear wheel broke. I talked to the guy at my local bike shop and it sounded like it would cost an arm and a leg to get them to fix it. This bike is a cheapy to begin with so if it's going to be alot to fix I will probably just invest in a better bike. I don't ride much except to run errands around town so it was perfect for me.

Anyways, I'm pretty handy and from looking on this site it doesn't look too hard to replace the derailleur. I just have no idea which type I would need for this bike. The one on there now is a Shimano, but couldn't find a model number on the thing.

I've searched this site and pretty much everywhere on the web I could think of but so far no dice. If I can get a replacement derailleur for say under 30 to 40 bux and replace it myself I'd like to keep the bike.

Sorry for the long winded post. Hopefully you bike gurus can point me in the right direction.

I attached a jpg I found of this bike I found on the web (not my exact bike) so you can see the type I have if that helps.
most any will 7 speed will do
walmart if you have one, sells parts and tools online they do not offer in stores
get on walmart.com and look around they will have one for your price range and the tool to remove it also. free shipping from site to the store of your choice
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
If the model number is not on the derailleur you can do a search on the bike and see if you can find the spec sheet for it. The spec sheet should tell you what model derailleur they are putting on the bike. Then go on line and search for that derailleur.

Another thing you can do is to take a clear close-up of the derailleur and post it on this thread. There may be someone here that can identify it for you.

I have found that the Rule of Thumb is .... If the bike isn't that expensive, neither are the components (unless they are rare because they are no longer made).
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
Thanks for the tips. I've been looking for the specs of that bike for a while (since it happened a few months ago) but not much luck. Looks like Schwinn stopped making this model around 07 so haven't had much luck. I'll see if I can find the old busted up derailleur and take some clear pics of it, I think it's still laying around in my garage somewhere.

I guess my main question is will any shimano (or other brand) 7 speed derailleur work or do I need to find out something specific about this bike to know what to look for? Again sorry for the noob question.
Put your chain on the largest rear sprocket so that the drlr is stretched out. Get a flashlight.
On the backside of the drlr, on the main body part between the two pivot-points, you should see letters & numbers stamped there (small stamps - look close) that may read like RD-TX31 or RD-M310. That is what we need in addition to a good, well-lit, pic of the actual connection of the drlr to the frame.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(04-18-2011, 07:09 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Put your chain on the largest rear sprocket so that the drlr is stretched out. Get a flashlight.
On the backside of the drlr, on the main body part between the two pivot-points, you should see letters & numbers stamped there (small stamps - look close) that may read like RD-TX31 or RD-M310. That is what we need in addition to a good, well-lit, pic of the actual connection of the drlr to the frame.

Ok found it. It says RD-TZ30. I took it off the bike when it got all busted up to try to straighten it out. Here are some pics of it sitting on the table. The bottom gear wheel broke in half so that's why it's not there.
Great pics, chico!
Your drlr is a Tourney-class by Shimano. The new model number, for this year, is TX71, 75 or 55 or 51. A replacement drlr should cost less than $20 USA.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(04-18-2011, 08:52 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Great pics, chico!
Your drlr is a Tourney-class by Shimano. The new model number, for this year, is TX71, 75 or 55 or 51. A replacement drlr should cost less than $20 USA.

Thanks RobAR and everyone else for the help. You folks are awesome!!!!!!

Will be nice to have this bad boy on the road again for the summer.

Thanks again.
If all that's wrong is a broken jockey wheel, take the old one to a bike shop. You can probably get one for next to nothing.
Unless you just want a new derailler.
Craig Domingue - East Texas Hick
Well on my schwinn jaguar my i think my rear derailler fell off and is just getting held on by the chain. So does anyone know how to fix it or where i can get a new one?
Without a picture we cannot tell whether there's something broken or a screw is loose or if the dérailleur has an attached hanger that just needs to be put back under the nut or the quick release.
I have a bike exactly like this, and while shifting going uphill awhile back the derailleur essentially exploded, so I the bike to the shop to get it fixed. Now that I have it back, I've noticed that the gear shift indicator is on 2, but the chain on the rear wheel is on the next to the largest gear. Shouldn't it be on the next to the 'smallest' gear when the gear shifter is in the '2' position? Thanks for any help with this one.
(06-02-2014, 03:34 PM)newcyclist Wrote:  I have a bike exactly like this, and while shifting going uphill awhile back the derailleur essentially exploded, so I the bike to the shop to get it fixed. Now that I have it back, I've noticed that the gear shift indicator is on 2, but the chain on the rear wheel is on the next to the largest gear. Shouldn't it be on the next to the 'smallest' gear when the gear shifter is in the '2' position? Thanks for any help with this one.
The largest sprocket at the back is 1; the smallest is the largest number on the shifter.
Nigel
(06-02-2014, 03:39 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(06-02-2014, 03:34 PM)newcyclist Wrote:  I have a bike exactly like this, and while shifting going uphill awhile back the derailleur essentially exploded, so I the bike to the shop to get it fixed. Now that I have it back, I've noticed that the gear shift indicator is on 2, but the chain on the rear wheel is on the next to the largest gear. Shouldn't it be on the next to the 'smallest' gear when the gear shifter is in the '2' position? Thanks for any help with this one.
The largest sprocket at the back is 1; the smallest is the largest number on the shifter.

Thank you for explaining that; I had no idea that's how the gear related to the gear selection number on the handle bar. Appreciate it.
Thank you for explaining that; I had no idea that's how the gear related to the gear selection number on the handle bar. Appreciate it.

That goes for most bikes and yours, But not always the case. Some systems would call the smallest in the rear 1 high and the largest in the rear 7 Low for a 7 speed system. on the triple in front it would refer to the outer big ring as 1 high and the small ring 3 low.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I have a matching set of Schwinn Point Beach cruisers both with the TZ30 rear deraileur. Both have failed in a bad way with very little or no apparent reason. I would like to repair both of them but I don't want to replace a cheap part with another cheap part. Will a vintage derailleur that's not made of plastic fit or is there a better derailleur to put on that won't absolutely kill my budget?
Sora is a step or two up from Tourney and should last longer and work better.
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-RD-A070-Road-Rear-Derailleur/dp/B007Q4PBNO/
Not that expensive either.
Craig Domingue - East Texas Hick

Possibly Related Threads...