Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

New kid here
Just became a member of this form, Love it so far!

I ride my bike 200-300 miles yearly and my girl friend is over 1100 plus yearly. I ride a Diamond Back Wild Wood, and she rides a Trek. My son (12years old) wants to ride with us. His mom got him a Mongoose Etec 24 inch mountain bike that need some work.

Is this a good starting point bike He loves it so I have to get it into shape.
Any clues, hints, tricks or neat part ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Charlies dad
It depends on whatever you need that it's covered in pasts posts. Just use the search box in the upper right. The videos Alex have on here will help a lot too.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Its a good bike. Suggest cleaning and greasing all bearings, wheels, crank, steering. Also clean and lubricate the shifters, cables derailleurs and brakes. Than let him ride it.
Never Give Up!!!
Welcome to the forum. I have to agree with George, get it cleaned up and in working order and it would be a great starting bike for your son. My daughter and her husband have weekly family ride days and my wife and I join them every chance we get. It is a great feeling to have the entire family do something together that everyone loves to do. Although my daughter and her family ride once a week, my wife and I are avid riders. I ride 3,000 + miles a year and my wife does about half of that.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
Ugh Sad ! Sorry did not really get the full of your question. Also inspect the frame and wheels for any discrepancies like cracks. Welcome to the forums.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!