Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

External Bottom Bracket?
Hiya fellas

Anyone ever heard of an External Bottom Bracket?

I've been told that's what my bike has and that it needs replacing.

Is this a separate bottom bracket type to cup & cone or sealed cartridge or is it simply another way of saying one of those two?

Cheers very kindly

Si
Hi Si,
Here is a link from Park Tools that discusses external bb's. http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/bottom-bracket-tool-selection
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(04-20-2011, 08:04 AM)Bill Wrote:  Hi Si,
Here is a link from Park Tools that discusses external bb's. http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/bottom-bracket-tool-selection

Thanks Bill,

You're what we Brits like to call a 'Gentleman'! Hehe

Si
Your welcome and Thank you Big Grin
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(04-20-2011, 08:09 AM)Bill Wrote:  Your welcome and Thank you Big Grin

Ok kind sir,

Here's what I found out about my SRAM GXP bottom bracket & Truvativ Stylo Triple Crankset.

I don't need anything other than an 8mm hex to remove the cranks! That's awesome! I thought I'd at least need a crank puller & some other tools. It seems as though this particular system was designed with a lot of simplicity in mind.

The only thing I can't really get my head around is the terminology being new to non LBS bicycle maintenance!

For instance, I don't know what a 'spline' is, or for that matter, a 'spindle'. As I said, it seems fairly simple to be able to maintain/replace this system but you have to know which bits they're talking about!

I'm not going to post too many ridiculous questions because I know without actually being in my presence or having pictures, it's hard to teach me.

Would it be advisable to take some pictures of my bike from various angles, a few close ups of the parts for ID purposes and post them on the site? I'm just thinking it will help me to get better advice from all you two-wheel wizards.

Si
Spindle = Axle - the bit that the crank attaches to.
Spline.= Serrations on the spindle - the crank may / should have matching "teeth" that clamps on the splines.

Check Utube for videos such as :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAqAanDsAKA

There are slight variations depending on the type of manufacture.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(04-20-2011, 12:09 PM)cyclerUK Wrote:  Spindle = Axle - the bit that the crank attaches to.
Spline.= Serrations on the spindle - the crank may / should have matching "teeth" that clamps on the splines.

Check Utube for videos such as :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAqAanDsAKA

There are slight variations depending on the type of manufacture.

Aah, thanks very much young minstrel. I learn something new every time I come on here!

Pictures of my bike, coming soon.

Swizzlesticks
I reckon I'm going to replace my bottom bracket in the very near future.

I watched some youtube videos about replacement of external bottom brackets, in particular, Truvativ Giga X Pipe like mine and the cranks. It seems like probably the most simple BB set up I've seen so far. All you need to is loosen the cranks with an 8mm allen key, remove them, unscrew the BB cups with a BB tool, take it all out, clean, grease etc & put the new stuff on with a torque wrench. Simple really!

I have a question though, there isn't a great deal of choice when it comes to external BB replacements. I'll probably stick with SRAM, so my choices are either a standard GXP cup set, a Team cup set, or the ceramic version which is about £100 more than both of them! Is it worth going for the ceramic set? How much of a difference will it make?

Cheers

Si

Possibly Related Threads...