Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Mongoose XR-200
Finally, I decided to get to this project! As it has been since I became a member here that I wanted to tear into this bike project. Actually I wanted to fix up an older one I have sitting in my shop collecting dust, I bought this one for 20.00. All the reviews say these are the biggest pieces of crap Mongoose ever made! On some of the parts end I have to agree! Now the things I like about them are: Frame decently heavy duty(MTB should be for the abuse that are put on them), front wheel setup, brakes are okay (they went cheap ass on rear), frame suspension I likey likey (swing link), front suspension should've been Rock Shox quality but ok, shifter erm alright they'll do for now, and thats about it.
Not a fan of: front derailler (reminds me a soda can metal), rear derailler just has too much doing on (if adjustments needed a nightmare), handlebars setup suck as far as the profile, rear brakes (come one you made the front disc why not the back? run out of parts?), rear wheel not a skewer, freewheel should've been a cassette, brake levers aren't that bad but nevermind lol, and the crankset well can't rag on it too much.
More Pics
Last part!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Looks like it will be an interesting project, replacing the derailleur's with something a bit better shouldn't be difficult. Be interesting to see if you could mount a rear disc brake on it. The mechanic at my local bike shop always bitches about the plastic bushings some of the cheaper bikes use in the suspension not being replaceable, that could cause you some issues.
Be careful with that bike. I had that same bike (got it for free) broke the frame after 4 months of dirt roads and riding around. It broke right down by where the kickstand goes. However I don't know how much abuse it got before I got it.
[attachment=2239]
It wasn't that big of a deal to me though, I just took everything off and moved it to a different frame haha.

If you want a picture of the break, I can upload it later, its just on my phone needs to get put on the computer.
(04-21-2011, 02:50 PM)Bill Wrote:  Not a fan of: front derailler (reminds me a soda can metal), rear derailler just has too much doing on (if adjustments needed a nightmare), handlebars setup suck as far as the profile, rear brakes (come one you made the front disc why not the back? run out of parts?), rear wheel not a skewer, freewheel should've been a cassette, brake levers aren't that bad but nevermind lol, and the crankset well can't rag on it too much.
Hey Bill! Looks like you got $20 worth of moldy frustration! Wink
Just ribbing you, bud.
The parts spec on that 'Goose isn't really too bad. Most major complaints on these bikes stem from poor assembly by mass-market retailers that don't know OR care. Gimme the Green. Know what I mean?
I can assure you that Shimano, a Japanese (Nippon) company, takes no pride in manufacturing 'junk'.
Let's see what you gonna do, Bill!
Please recycle that FD.

On the Brake question... not many years ago, it wasn't uncommon to see bikes well into the $2000 range equip only the front with disc'. All of your stopping power is there; a linear-pull (V Brake) is plenty powerful; and V's are considerably lighter. Disc also cost' more back then. As the price and weight dropped, so did the acceptance of rear disc.

You think it should sport a RockShox fork up-front?? Ahh - you were facetious. I get it. Hahaa.

Why does the rear drlr give you nightmares?

Edit: Just a FYI - at the rear shock, preload (resistance to travel = higher spring tension) is adjusted by a knurled nut opposite the mount.
Do NOT run that at Full Soft! This is the biggest cause of frame failures in these, IMOH. Crank up some pessure on that spring.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(04-21-2011, 04:46 PM)Duroon Wrote:  Looks like it will be an interesting project, replacing the derailleur's with something a bit better shouldn't be difficult. Be interesting to see if you could mount a rear disc brake on it. The mechanic at my local bike shop always bitches about the plastic bushings some of the cheaper bikes use in the suspension not being replaceable, that could cause you some issues.

The rear derailler will probably stay for as long as it shifts properly. I'll inspect the bushings very carefully, thanks.
(04-21-2011, 05:00 PM)nameused Wrote:  Be careful with that bike. I had that same bike (got it for free) broke the frame after 4 months of dirt roads and riding around. It broke right down by where the kickstand goes. However I don't know how much abuse it got before I got it.

It wasn't that big of a deal to me though, I just took everything off and moved it to a different frame haha.

If you want a picture of the break, I can upload it later, its just on my phone needs to get put on the computer.

Wow nice paint job! Almost makes me want to well maybe paint it in the future Big Grin! Yes please do upload the pic of the cracked frame as that will be very useful. This way I can look in that area for any frame discrepancies.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(04-21-2011, 08:32 PM)RobAR Wrote:  
(04-21-2011, 02:50 PM)Bill Wrote:  Not a fan of: front derailler (reminds me a soda can metal), rear derailler just has too much doing on (if adjustments needed a nightmare), handlebars setup suck as far as the profile, rear brakes (come one you made the front disc why not the back? run out of parts?), rear wheel not a skewer, freewheel should've been a cassette, brake levers aren't that bad but nevermind lol, and the crankset well can't rag on it too much.
Hey Bill! Looks like you got $20 worth of moldy frustration! Wink
Just ribbing you, bud.
The parts spec on that 'Goose isn't really too bad. Most major complaints on these bikes stem from poor assembly by mass-market retailers that don't know OR care. Gimme the Green. Know what I mean?
I can assure you that Shimano, a Japanese (Nippon) company, takes no pride in manufacturing 'junk'.
Let's see what you gonna do, Bill!
Please recycle that FD.

On the Brake question... not many years ago, it wasn't uncommon to see bikes well into the $2000 range equip only the front with disc'. All of your stopping power is there; a linear-pull (V Brake) is plenty powerful; and V's are considerably lighter. Disc also cost' more back then. As the price and weight dropped, so did the acceptance of rear disc.

You think it should sport a RockShox fork up-front?? Ahh - you were facetious. I get it. Hahaa.

Why does the rear drlr give you nightmares?

Edit: Just a FYI - at the rear shock, preload (resistance to travel = higher spring tension) is adjusted by a knurled nut opposite the mount.
Do NOT run that at Full Soft! This is the biggest cause of frame failures in these, IMOH. Crank up some pessure on that spring.

Those are actually pictures of it as I got it. It did clean up well with a small clean up job, as a clean bicycle makes it easier to work on lol.
Yes I have to agree that some of the parts are good, but assembled very poorly from the manufacturer! Front derailler GONE! Rear one I will keep for as long it hasn't lost its ability to shift. Just looks like a pain in the a@@ to keep adjusting. Then again with that many ways to adjust leave for flexibility Wink. Shimano is a very good company!
You know what now that I have done a few minutes of reading articles you are correct about the brakes.
Yup I was being a funny guy on the shocks.
Hmm so stiffen up its upper lip eh? In one of the pictures it shows the rear shock, I would want to turn the spring tension up? Or completely remove it and swap its place of being mounted?
I wanted to add that the PEDALS completely SUCK! They are from Wellgo (yea well go, but pedal lightly!)
TO RobAR: You have any suggestions for FD replacement? One I thought I had I already sold to a friend of mine.
i was checkin out your ride, thinking how similar it is to my blackcomb. sure enough, my pedal is identical to yours!
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
(04-22-2011, 02:17 PM)X-RAY Wrote:  i was checkin out your ride, thinking how similar it is to my blackcomb. sure enough, my pedal is identical to yours!

I hope they are stronger made then these ones lol!
Quote:
(04-21-2011, 05:00 PM)nameused Wrote:  Be careful with that bike. I had that same bike (got it for free) broke the frame after 4 months of dirt roads and riding around. It broke right down by where the kickstand goes. However I don't know how much abuse it got before I got it.

Wow nice paint job! Almost makes me want to well maybe paint it in the future Big Grin! Yes please do upload the pic of the cracked frame as that will be very useful. This way I can look in that area for any frame discrepancies.
Thanks! Yeah when I got it some guy had done a horrible job of spray painting it silver so I stripped off all the paint and sprayed it orange.
Here's a pic of the cracked frame. Sorry for the quality came off my phone. It broke the right side chain stay. Made the tire get stuck on the frame. Looked like the rest of it was close to following that spot, I was glad it just broke there and not the whole thing.
[Image: P03-05-11_0902.jpg]
Here's the frame I'm using with the bike now (painted it orange again Tongue)
[Image: P03-19-11_1102.jpg]

(04-22-2011, 01:36 PM)Bill Wrote:  I wanted to add that the PEDALS completely SUCK! They are from Wellgo (yea well go, but pedal lightly!)
TO RobAR: You have any suggestions for FD replacement? One I thought I had I already sold to a friend of mine.

Yeah I never liked those pedals. One side stuck out farther than the other side and I think mine were starting to break. I've been lucky with the wellgo pedals that came with my Trek. They haven't broken yet and I give them a beating over the past year.
they arent stronger, bill. when i said they look identical, i meant mine broke in the same exact place. whatcha planing to upgrade to?
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!
(04-22-2011, 06:31 PM)nameused Wrote:  
Quote:

Thanks! Yeah when I got it some guy had done a horrible job of spray painting it silver so I stripped off all the paint and sprayed it orange.
Here's a pic of the cracked frame. Sorry for the quality came off my phone. It broke the right side chain stay. Made the tire get stuck on the frame. Looked like the rest of it was close to following that spot, I was glad it just broke there and not the whole thing.
[Image: P03-05-11_0902.jpg]
Here's the frame I'm using with the bike now (painted it orange again Tongue)
[Image: P03-19-11_1102.jpg]

(04-22-2011, 01:36 PM)Bill Wrote:  I wanted to add that the PEDALS completely SUCK! They are from Wellgo (yea well go, but pedal lightly!)

Yeah I never liked those pedals. One side stuck out farther than the other side and I think mine were starting to break. I've been lucky with the wellgo pedals that came with my Trek. They haven't broken yet and I give them a beating over the past year.

Wow!!! That really sucks! Glad you did not get hurt! The frame looks like it may have gotten its fair share of abuse! I think mine was rode liek 3 times on a trail and put away because the guy was never into biking, he was the original owner.
Glad you have had more luck with your pedals.
(04-22-2011, 10:21 PM)X-RAY Wrote:  they arent stronger, bill. when i said they look identical, i meant mine broke in the same exact place. whatcha planing to upgrade to?

OHHH! My mistake, sorry lol. I am not sure? I really do not want a set of PLASTIC SH!@ pedals. Sorry about the bad word but I am tired of messing with pedals that break. I am open to suggestions as always!! Smile . Metal alloy preferable!
Bill - regarding your FD, anything Shimano, SRAM or SunTour! DNP stands for something but, it has been a few years and I forget. 'Do Not Pedal' or something like that. Smile
Don't sweat the FD if it works, though. It's very common on bikes well into the $2000 range to have a "cost cutting" part or two and the FD is an easy one. Their actual job is very big, but the design is very simple and requires much less precision than a Rear Drlr so, they are all cheap.
What chainring T's are you running? 22-32-44? 26-36-46? 9-38-57 or anything weird? I can probably narrow down options with more details. Or, you could just ride it, man.
Yea, that's my vote. Just ride it! But get that moldy green cheese off of the FD.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
LMAO!!! Moldy Greene of Mongoose delight! I'll count the t's tomorrow when I have the light. Still really do not like it though! That's exactly what I told Zadey after I took a picture," Zadey now I know what the FD is named for.... Do not Pedal!"! Of course she gave me a weird look!
Wanted to update this as a kid 20yrs old saw me on it and offered me 75.00 for it. I tried to tell him all the problems but he did not want to hear it saying he would look it over because he worked at a LBS. So I sold it to him. No more XR-200.

Still have the old one for parts.
get his number Bill, I am sure i could find him more. I will cut him deal. I will only take $60 Smile I hope he was not an Angel sent from heaven to test you!
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Lol!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW this bike was sold earlier this year. Robar the mold did not go with it. I would have charged extra lmao.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-20-2013, 05:41 AM
Last Post: hcjg1

08-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Bill

08-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Painkiller