Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

My new chain guard
http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb8/dianemisso/Nigels%20Wheels%20042311%20A/Nigels%20Wheels%20042311%20B/

Please see the above pictures. Two show the chain guard I ordered on eBay from a seller in Taiwan for my current build (blue) bike. The other shows the chain guard on my commuter (red) bike - it is original on the mid '80's Schwinn World Tourist.

The chain guard from Taiwan is high quality and comes with spacers and longer fasteners.

This is the seller's current listing of chain guards:
http://sporting-goods.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=chain+guard&_sacat=57262&_dmpt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&_ssn=teamssx&_odkw=&_osacat=57262&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

I am very pleased with it.
Nigel
Been waiting for this post since you responded to my thread. They look just like what I need for my road bike. I was waiting for the thumbs up so now I can order mine. Thanks Nigel.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
Ordered one of these chainring guards from this vendor for a 50 tooth 130 BCD crankset and it came in sooner than expected. I got it just a few days before my MS 150 ride and installed them on my road bike this past Friday morning. They fit perfect and work really great. No more grease on my legs or getting stabbed by the teeth on the outer chainring when the chain is on another ring. They are also very light, which I was somewhat concerned about their weight. Thanks for posting the link to the vendor on eBay.
HCFR Cycling Team
glad to be of service Smile

We're going to order three for our tandem in the not too distant future.
Nigel
Oh! I forgot to mention, it was a breeze to install. Took about 15 minutes.
HCFR Cycling Team
What tools do I need to install this chain guard. I don't have many so I would probably have to factor the purchase price of the tools into the total price. I guess you have to remove the pedal and I think that requires a special tool.
All you need is a hex key (allen) wrench and maybe a large flat head screwdriver to hold the back lug in place while you turn the forward one. You don't need to remove the pedals. Just make sure that you align the notches on the chainring and the notch on the guard with the pin on the crankarm when you put everything back together.
HCFR Cycling Team
(02-15-2012, 09:14 AM)JohnV Wrote:  All you need is a hex key (allen) wrench and maybe a large flat head screwdriver to hold the back lug in place while you turn the forward one. You don't need to remove the pedals. Just make sure that you align the notches on the chainring and the notch on the guard with the pin on the crankarm when you put everything back together.

Many thanks. I've just ordered through ebay.
When you remove all the ring bolts, the outer chainring will come off. If you have a triple crankset, you may have to loosen the ring bolts between the small and middle ring. I had to do that on my wife's Truvitive crankset. The Tiagra that I put them on did not require anything else being loosened or removed.
HCFR Cycling Team
(02-15-2012, 09:14 AM)JohnV Wrote:  All you need is a hex key (allen) wrench and maybe a large flat head screwdriver to hold the back lug in place while you turn the forward one. You don't need to remove the pedals. Just make sure that you align the notches on the chainring and the notch on the guard with the pin on the crankarm when you put everything back together.

Even better is one of these:

[Image: chain-ring-nut-wrench-cnw-2-from-park-tool-usa.jpg]
GRAVELBIKE.com - ride everything
(02-16-2012, 05:16 AM)onmyway3 Wrote:  Gravel, hat do you call this tool (your last picture)?? That looks like just what I need Smile

I've always called it a chain ring bolt spanner.
GRAVELBIKE.com - ride everything
they call Park tool # cnw-2 u can buy this on e-bay for $3.84 check here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PARK-TOOL-CNW-2-CHAINRING-NUT-WRENCH-NEW-/270810430586
(02-16-2012, 05:16 AM)onmyway3 Wrote:  Gravel, hat do you call this tool (your last picture)?? That looks like just what I need Smile

Park tool cnw -2 u can buy on ebay for $3.84.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PARK-TOOL-CNW-2-CHAINRING-NUT-WRENCH-NEW-/270810430586?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D63​72966635746656969#ht_1156wt_922
Heck of a nice price for that tool, especially with free shipping. A good addition to your bike toolbox if you worked with chainrings all the time.
HCFR Cycling Team
Will this chainring guard work on a triple? Can I leave the outter chainring in place and still use the guard? Does it come with longer screws and or spacers to keep it away from the outer chainring?
(07-24-2014, 08:58 PM)critter5050 Wrote:  Will this chainring guard work on a triple? Can I leave the outter chainring in place and still use the guard? Does it come with longer screws and or spacers to keep it away from the outer chainring?

Yes, yes and yes.
Nigel
(07-24-2014, 11:22 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  
(07-24-2014, 08:58 PM)critter5050 Wrote:  Will this chainring guard work on a triple? Can I leave the outter chainring in place and still use the guard? Does it come with longer screws and or spacers to keep it away from the outer chainring?

Yes, yes and yes.

thank you that's what I was hoping for. I looked at the website the smallest one they had was a 50t, my is a 46t. Think that will still work?
(07-24-2014, 11:22 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  

Yes, yes and yes.

Just received my chain ring guard from driveline in Taiwan on eBay. It is very light, pleasantly surprised. I bought the 48 size for my 46 tooth chain ring. it is absolutely exactly what I was looking for! The color is good the size is good. Just got in the mail today. Will install tonight or tomorrow. I did hold it up to the gear with the spacers behind it, perfect spacing perfect fit. It should keep my legs from getting grease spots from the chainring and also help with my pants. Thank you very much for the tip! It is greatly appreciated. If there's anything I can help you with let me know. After I install it, I will snap new photo and post it.
[attachment=5284][attachment=5285]My new chain guard. The before photo and the after photo. Besides being practical it looks good. Thank you everyone for your great suggestions.
looks great Smile
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-05-2015, 02:06 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET