Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Water bags - plastic flavour
Hello guys.

I got a water bag from Rockrider/ Decathlon last x-mas. It's a nice way to carry up to 2.0 L of water when you ride. But since 1st day I had this stupid problem: it tastes a lot like plastic. First, I thought that'd be normal since the bag was new, and the water container, being new would taste a bit like plastic for the 1st time and then the plastic taste would be gone after some use.
How wrong I was: it's over 4 months, and 10 or 12 times of use and the plastic taste's still there.

Any domestic, home-made recipes to wipe the damn plastic taste out of my bag?

Thanks,

Portellini
Found this, hope it helps
Removing plastic taste
Found this on a biker forum, but not to sure if it would work

"Cyclists' water bottles often come with a pungent plastic taste/odor. To eliminate this; fill bottle 2/3 with vinegar (clear) and 1/3 water; cover/close and let set for 24 hours. Rinse with clean water. No plastic taste, no vinegar smell, as odor free as using glass."
And if you don't like the idea of white vinegar, concentrated lemon juice (like "Real Lemon") can be used as a substitute.
Nigel
I've heard of baking soda and water, but not sure of the directions?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Ye I got a pricey camel bottle that was supposed not to have plastic taste, it was the worst I had. I threw it away.
I do like the camel back water pack. Use it on my long motorcycle trips. Cant understand people putting ten water bottles on their bikes. The camel back and others work great.

After trying all the above fixes, I now just squeeze a slice of lemon and put it in the bottle with lots of ice before riding. No plastic taste. I also got some aluminum water bottles, but some of them are plastic lined so no advantage here, and you cant squeeze them to squirt.
Never Give Up!!!
Does adding gatorade mask the taste?
(04-24-2011, 09:59 PM)Bill Wrote:  I've heard of baking soda and water, but not sure of the directions?

Bill... that's baking soda and vinegar that you are thinking of! Smile Wink Why u so mean?
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)