Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Shimano Front Deore Hub
Shimano Deore , HB/FH590

Hi, I have a stock surly cross check complete with these hubs. It is only 3 months old, but I've already put about 2000 miles on it.

When off the bike, the rear wheel still spins freely - the front wheel feels 'rough' when it spins. On the bike spinning it, you'd never notice. I want my first 'expensive' bike to run a long time - what does this indicate. I tried the 'listening to the seat thing' but I have a leather saddle which I suspect defeats that.

If I have to overhaul it, is there a video specifically for 'front' hubs. I've watched the 'rear hub' overhaul video. Also, can anyone tell me exactly which bearings I'd need and from where to obtain them. Will marine grease be fine as well (I already have some).

TIA for your thoughts from a new user. This will be my first 'hub overhaul'.
The HB/FH M590 have standard ball and cone bearings. The front and rear hub go together in the same manner (ignoring the freehub).

Read this: http://bikeride.com/overhaul-wheel-bearings/

I purchase loose balls from an industrial supply house, get ones made of 52100 steel, and grade 25 (or lower number).
Nigel
(04-24-2011, 08:31 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  The HB/FH M590 have standard ball and cone bearings. The front and rear hub go together in the same manner (ignoring the freehub).

Read this: http://bikeride.com/overhaul-wheel-bearings/

I purchase loose balls from an industrial supply house, get ones made of 52100 steel, and grade 25 (or lower number).

Does my issue seem like bearings, or could it be a simple adjustment?
I would take it apart, clean all the parts, inspect the cones (both on the axle which are replaceable, and on the hub, which unfortunately are not replaceable). If the cones are good, I'd get new balls, and put it back together with fresh grease.

I use boat trailer wheel bearing grease - inexpensive and water resistant.
Nigel
Servicing the front wheel is easier than the rear. all you need is two cone wrenches.Take photo or notes with drawings of the set up and on disassembly so you remember to correct order. Make sure to clean everything is clean and smooth. Ball bearings are available lots of places. Bike stores being the most available. Also hardware stores. May be a good time to check the rear wheel too. Eventually the bottom bracket and the head bearings.
Marine grease is fine , its what I use. (Bel Rey.)
It takes a few tries to get them tightened just right, no wobble but free spinning.
Never Give Up!!!

Possibly Related Threads...