Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Clicking noise after an hour or so
I have a 2010 Kestrel RT-800 road bike. After riding for about an hour I start hearing a clicking noise. The longer I ride the louder it gets. This past Saturday I rode 60 miles and it was driving me nuts by the time I finished.

I can't see anything hitting the front or rear derailleur. I have a compact double crank and regardless of which one the chain is on, the noise persists at the same point in my pedal stroke.

It only makes the noise under load and I can't replicate it after it sits for a night.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Casey
(04-26-2011, 12:09 PM)wkm001 Wrote:  I have a 2010 Kestrel RT-800 road bike. After riding for about an hour I start hearing a clicking noise. The longer I ride the louder it gets. This past Saturday I rode 60 miles and it was driving me nuts by the time I finished.

I can't see anything hitting the front or rear derailleur. I have a compact double crank and regardless of which one the chain is on, the noise persists at the same point in my pedal stroke.

It only makes the noise under load and I can't replicate it after it sits for a night.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Casey

Cartridge.
I had a problem like that once and I took out the cartridge bottom bracket and removed the thread caps cleaned and lubed inside and out including the shell in the frame and re-assembled and the sound went away, also put grease on your crank and spline.

Check for slop before and after it should not wiggle side to side at all.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Had the same problem and took everything apart and re-greased etc, only to find after another cycle the noise persisted, after a frustrating shaking of head and numerous curse words, I found it was my pedal and the bearings inside that were "clicking". Probably a loose or pitted/crushed bearing. Since most pedals (Low end/cheap) pedals are unserviceable, I forked out and got a good metal set.
While I can't rule out the BB as the culprit, I tend to agree with docdee that it is likely pedal related. Particularly because you mention that it only happens in one area of the pedal stroke.
Next ride - when it begins, vary (lighter and harder) the torque that you apply to the pedals and see if it makes a difference.

If you are clipless, be sure to check your cleats, also. More than once, I have pulled my hair out chasing a noise to finally asking the person to bring their shoes and ride it past me in the parking lot! Sad GRRRRR
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
I recall something similar posted on another site. Involved Shimano SPD-SL pedals and the wear plate on them. It was worn out and caused just enough space to make a clicking sound.

Possibly Related Threads...