Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Can't remove DMR V8s
Hey gents,

I've tried getting the below pedals off my bike with a 6mm allen key, but to no avail. I've also tried this mutli-wrench thing I have on the bolt that's in between the pedal & the crank arm.

I know there are already threads about pedal removal but nothing I've tried has worked. I would yank it even harder but I was just worried about stripping the thread or ruining my allen key!

[Image: 6dca56129768927.gif]

[Image: 774836129768828.gif]
Is this gonna be one of those 'spray it with WD40 and leave it overnight' jobs? Or am I ok to force it a bit more to try to get it off?

Cheers

Si
Looks like you have been cycling in the sea, looks like salt encrusted. I would definitely put some penetrating oil onto that first and let it soak.
If they're on there tight, I would be surprised if you could get them off with an allen. You need a good 15mm open end wrench to put on the fitting between pedal and crank. On most pedals this ares is too narrow for a normal wrench so you need a "pedal wrench". It's not unusual to have to put a lot of force on these. And remember that the left pedal is reverse thread.
DMR V8s are wide enough for a standard spanner, I've had two sets.

What you may need though is a length of pipe and possibly a hammer. Soak in WD-40 or similar overnight, and if you still can't get them off with a spanner then put the pipe over the spanner to give you more leverage. If that doesn't work, whack the end of the pipe with the hammer; this should produce enough force to start unscrewing the pedal threads.

Sometimes violence IS the answer Wink
(04-27-2011, 12:08 PM)doctordee Wrote:  Looks like you have been cycling in the sea, looks like salt encrusted. I would definitely put some penetrating oil onto that first and let it soak.

Yeah mate I know, I'll be more attentive from now on I promise! ; )
(04-27-2011, 12:49 PM)DaveM Wrote:  If they're on there tight, I would be surprised if you could get them off with an allen. You need a good 15mm open end wrench to put on the fitting between pedal and crank. On most pedals this ares is too narrow for a normal wrench so you need a "pedal wrench". It's not unusual to have to put a lot of force on these. And remember that the left pedal is reverse thread.

OK man, thanks for the info. I shall purchase a pedal wrench as soon as poss!
(04-27-2011, 02:57 PM)JonB Wrote:  DMR V8s are wide enough for a standard spanner, I've had two sets.

What you may need though is a length of pipe and possibly a hammer. Soak in WD-40 or similar overnight, and if you still can't get them off with a spanner then put the pipe over the spanner to give you more leverage. If that doesn't work, whack the end of the pipe with the hammer; this should produce enough force to start unscrewing the pedal threads.

Sometimes violence IS the answer Wink

Oh yeah, I'll second that... can't beat a good bit of violence! haha. I shall certainly take heed of your advice my good man, much appreciated.