Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Need a wholesale link
To buy V brake pads in one bulk buy. Any suggestions?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Bill, If you have a business license as a bike shop, try JB Imports. They only sell wholesale but they don't have any prices on their web site, only the products that they carry. My LBS buys from them.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
I think a "license" isn't necessarily the question. When buying from wholesalers and distributors, the question they will likely ask you is, "what is your tax ID?" But of course, to get the tax ID, you generally would have to apply to the state government to get it, and that usually means getting a business "license."

The reason they ask you that is because it tells them first that you in fact have a business, and second, so they won't add sales tax to the total. It would be double taxation if they did because the final sale to the public is really where the sales tax should be collected. And they will not appreciate it if you lie about it because the IRS and other state and local tax auditors will check their books from time to time, and if they find out someone, an individual, got by without paying the sales tax then they and YOU are in big trouble.

But back to the original question, if you do have a tax ID then I think just about any wholesaler/distributor would want your business. Some exceptions would be where they would require a minimum amount of monthly purchases in order to resell any of their products. In many cases that's usually in the 1000's of dollars per month. I'm speaking generally of course.

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
In Florida (and in most states), the business license includes all the above. I had a business license in the State of Florida and to get it, I had to register the business with the state. This gives you a unique business name (non-duplicated) in your area and makes you apply for a state tax ID before the business name is officially registered. Then you go to the county to get the license but in order to do so, you need the tax ID.

If I purchased from a wholesaler, I had to present a copy of my tax certificate for them to have on file, and I had to collect the taxes on items that I sold and send the collected tax into the state on a monthly basis. Luckily, my business was in custom developed software and I didn't have that much interaction with the state as far as taxes went.
HCFR Cycling Team
(04-28-2011, 09:58 PM)Bill Wrote:  To buy V brake pads in one bulk buy. Any suggestions?
Bill? What ARE you up to ?? V pads in bulk? Strange request. Is it legal?
Oh... nevermind. Curiosity and the cat thing....

I'm pretending to not be listening. Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
No the thing is I get a lot of people wanting new brake pads for that style! I figure if I order a decent amount I can stop piddling with one or two pair at a time and save some money on shipping!!! Most places I have found only sell one or two pair at a time.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I don't know of any 'bulk packaging' of V pads like you see for the old road-bike 'block' pads that we can get 50/bag. But, any LBS ought to be happy to offer you a discount on a Quantity purchase as it helps them meet a Minimum Order $$ requirement and spreads the Freight Charge thinner.

There is an old saying in the bike industry. "If you want to be a Millionaire, start with 2 Mill and open a bike shop."
With internet sales today, it's truer than ever. No LBS is intent on "ripping you off". It's simply a matter of not drowning in a sea of debt. Successful shops operate on VERY thin margins and the owner is passionate about it - wants people to Wake Up and see the light! See how fragile egg shells are? It's a damn tough business.
Being honest and forthright with a LBS about your intentions for mass quantity purchases will help, for sure. Undercutting them is a bad thing but, a good LBS will see the logic and may offer you a job.

We charge $4.95 for a single 26 x 1.95-2.1 PV inner tube. Want 10? $4 each. Want 500? Let's talk. What's in it for me?
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Now the fact that I agree the bicycle industry is a brutal business to be in and the Internet did help any at all! Then we look at the economic flourishing going on (sarcasm), that really sucks! Some eBay money vampires really do not help either. I'm all for Local Bike Shops Rob!
If I had a LBS within 75miles I would go though them! That's why I asked if any knew of a link to possibly that be willing to deal as you said!!

Bill
Bill,

In the small town in IL where my father-in-law lives (about 500 people) there is a guy who fixes bikes for the locals out of his garage. He is open for business 2 days a week and only for 6 hours each day. He doesn't sell bikes, just fixes them. The nearest full service bike shop is Dubuque, about 60 miles from this town. Point being that if you are that far from a bike shop and your area has the need to have you work on the bikes, why not get a license to do it as a part time business. This way you can call around to distributors and see if they are willing to set you up with an account, even though you aren't a full service, store-front business.
HCFR Cycling Team
Maybe I just misread? Great idea from both of ya though!
I've been pondering the Idea of opening my own shop part-time, looked at several options of the business aspect too! Without dreaming, the cost for the amount of work I do for the few and far in between it would be a bad move on my part. Licensing fees, taxes due, and the minimum purchases is just plain a P.I.R.(pain in the rear) ! On the other hand Big Grin <evil grin>!

P.S. Sorry if I sounded like an a@@ earlier in the post Sad . Just got frustrated.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Bill