Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Chain skipping in middle gears under pressure
I bought a used Yeti with x9 shifters and sram 12/34 cassette. I put on a new Sram 9 spd chain and removed the cassette, cleaned and reassembled (that little screw is tricky!)

It wasn't shifting well so I checked out this web site and decided it was the cables - I replaced the cables and housing f/r and it shifts like a dream on the stand

When I ride flat or downhill, it shifts and rides fine- when I put any torque on an uphill hill it skips in the 3 middle gears - doesn't seem to skip in top 3 or bottom 3.

Ideas?
Quote:When I ride flat or downhill, it shifts and rides fine- when I put any torque on an uphill hill it skips in the 3 middle gears - doesn't seem to skip in top 3 or bottom 3.

Not sure if it's for the same reason, but both my bikes do the same thing going up a hill. I keep mine tuned up on a regular basis (mostly by my LSB mech) and both bikes are less than a year old, so I know there is nothing wrong with my components or adjustments. Have you had your bike checked out by a shop to see if the adjustments you did are correct? If not, I would start there if you don't get a satisfactory answer on this forum.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
It is always good advice to take it to the LBS - the point of looking for advice in the cycling community is to accomplish the repair myself - not to deprive the LBS, but to have the satisfaction of being my own wrench.

Good news - I figured the new chain wasn't meshing with the old cassette - borrowed a friends wheel and new cassette and everything shifts great - buying new cassette ate LBS
p.s. - the logic was that it was skipping in the range where most riders spend most of their miles - the middle - the teeth on the middle gears are noticeably more worn.
Quote:the point of looking for advice in the cycling community is to accomplish the repair myself

True, providing that the bike is not expensive, and you know exactly what you are doing. Advise from others doesn't always help if you're still not sure what you are doing or again, don't get it right and screw up a part trying to save a few bucks. I do a lot of the minor maintenance on my road bike and my hybrid, but I know where my limits are. I take my bike to the LSB because I don't have the special tools or the experience working on the drivetrain. I hang around my LSB to watch them do the work and once in a while they will let me do something minor so I can learn. I hang around here to get as much knowledge from others as I can. When I'm confident enough that I won't tear up an expensive drivetrain on my road bike, I will start buying the tools and do it myself. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
I have this exact same problem! I've just installed a new Sram PC971 9 Speed Chain, but not replaced the Cassette. Am I asking for trouble?

First gear is fine but when I apply pressure whilst in all other gears my gears bang!

The cassette physically looks fine though...Weird!
(01-30-2013, 11:06 PM)neo36uk Wrote:  I have this exact same problem! I've just installed a new Sram PC971 9 Speed Chain, but not replaced the Cassette. Am I asking for trouble?
First gear is fine but when I apply pressure whilst in all other gears my gears bang!

The cassette physically looks fine though...Weird!

Yes you are asking for trouble
Some companies products and models don't play nice with others older or even same manufacturer products as well.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!

Possibly Related Threads...