Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bill's new bicycle shop under construction
Hey all I decided to move my shop from the basement where I keep hitting my head on the ceiling to the garage! Today I went and bought a 4ft x 4ft pegboard! Took most of my time lining up the "felt strips" to attach the pb onto. After words I was very happy:d ! Boxed up tools moved one of my benches out there and looked at the other and had to say bye because it is rather permanently put together. Sooo I may throw a new one together! Man I needed shelves and was gonna build them but couldn't find anywhere with scrap wood. So I got a set of metal ones. They'll do! Now I want to put some indoor/outdoor carpet in but will wait until it goes on sale in a couple weeksWink good to know people. The next couple days it's placinng what tools go where! Anyways I'll post a picture after I'm done, love the extra head room :d !!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
We need pics now lol. Hello Bill been a while for me I'm back home for a while now too. Good to see you still here and working on your shop.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Right On, Bill! Cool beans! As surly said... Pics, please?
I must ask, though; How many times did you hit your head? Is it safe for us to have you work on our bikes? Wink LOL. Kidding, buddy!

You mentioned carpet. If you don't mind a little advice, I would steer clear of that cheap green or brown stuff that looks like short grass (artificial turf?). If you were to drop a small screw or bearing ball in it, the carpet monster will eat it! I like Marine Grade carpet in my work area. The low-pile stuff like you see on the flooring of boats. It helps eliminate dropped parts from bouncing / rolling and doesn't hide parts if you get a mid-shade like medium blue. Silver parts camo on light grey and darker parts camo on dark colors.

Keep us posted!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(05-05-2011, 10:48 PM)Surly LHT Wrote:  We need pics now lol. Hello Bill been a while for me I'm back home for a while now too. Good to see you still here and working on your shop.

Well welcome back Surly! Thank you and as always a pleasure to see you come back!! Smile! Ill try to grab a couple tomorrow.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(05-06-2011, 06:16 PM)RobAR Wrote:  Right On, Bill! Cool beans! As surly said... Pics, please?
I must ask, though; How many times did you hit your head? Is it safe for us to have you work on our bikes? Wink LOL. Kidding, buddy!

You mentioned carpet. If you don't mind a little advice, I would steer clear of that cheap green or brown stuff that looks like short grass (artificial turf?). If you were to drop a small screw or bearing ball in it, the carpet monster will eat it! I like Marine Grade carpet in my work area. The low-pile stuff like you see on the flooring of boats. It helps eliminate dropped parts from bouncing / rolling and doesn't hide parts if you get a mid-shade like medium blue. Silver parts camo on light grey and darker parts camo on dark colors.

Keep us posted!

Oh hell I forget, probably from hitting my head lmao! Yes it is safe, lol Wink!

Hmmm that sounds rather interesting then the grass turf I wanted to use. Good point on mr carpet monster. Although I may still just leave it cement and only put something like you mentioned under my work bench and the bike stand. So anyways it is late and Ill update this later lol.

P.S. It is called Berber carpet !?!?
Ok here is a sneak peak! Remember I still have lots to do! lol.....
P.S. Alot of the tools will be re-arranged
Looking great. I especially like that plank wall you have to work with.
Why thank you Smile Alex. Smile It does give that old style look to those Local Bike Shops we remember doesn't it? Wink Using that wall saved me quite some time, instead of building a frame to put the pegboard on. The strips of wood (felt strips) you see cost like $1.12 USD for each 7ft. strip? Peg board itself was around $8.00 for a 4ft. x 4ft. piece. Already had the hooks from previous shop. The work bench was an old work bench a family member was ready to throw out because they were remodeling at the time, but from my old shop. So that's about as far as I got except new shelves which took me an hour to put together. Love the head room lol!
So Bill.... Just how much stock do you have in Park Tools? Smile Really, it looks great. I wish I had a place to set up a shop. Unless I cut down a bunch of trees to make room for a nice sized shed in the back, I really don't have the room to do anything like this. No basements in Florida.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
Whoa, Bill. Looking good! I see a couple of old tools there that Park no longer makes. Take care of them. I know that you will!
Hey - where's the fridge? And what are the claw hammers for? Hitting yourself in the head? Wink
Rob, you must be seeing things... there are no claw hammers in the photo, those are metal straightening tools. Smile You put the bent metal in the vise and then use the metal straightening tool to straighten it out.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
(05-09-2011, 04:56 PM)JohnV Wrote:  Rob, you must be seeing things... there are no claw hammers in the photo, those are metal straightening tools. Smile You put the bent metal in the vise and then use the metal straightening tool to straighten it out.
Oh.
But - They are really small ones.
(05-09-2011, 02:13 AM)Bill Wrote:  Ok here is a sneak peak! Remember I still have lots to do! lol.....
P.S. Alot of the tools will be re-arranged

OMG!
I am so envious! I just moved into an apartment after being in a house for 20+ years ---- I so long for the days when I could do that! Good job Bill!
Didn't I just see a claw hammer over the workbench on the right?
Why thanks guys Smile. Now as far as the claw hammers they do just as well as ball been hammers (imo). Never used one on a bike for sure!!! Actually when I am working on other projects it is easier to have them there. OH wait I do use the small one for lightly tapping the bolt on the handlebars to drive down the wedge nut. As far as money in the tools you see and don't see over $1000.00 easily!!!
I do need to invest in a rubber mallet though! Anyways it is getting there! Smile

P.S. Rob you remember the freewheel greaser?
Oh man! That looks real nice! Now you can start on mine. Smile

I've been so busy I haven't been by here for a while. Don't forget to change your avatar while you're at it. Smile

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Well Bill, I can now say, I am soooooooooooooooo bloody jealous. My new bike "shop" is the original outside toilet that was built with this house. Thankfully the toilet is long gone and the drains are concreted closed.Just enough room to fit one bike, minus a wheel, a very skinny person (NOT ME) and a wall of tools.
@Steve lol I needed the change and thanks glad to see you drop in bud!

@doc nah a shop is what you make of it! Jordan another user on here had a solarium (very small room) as his little shop! Yes I have a little more room then some, but if I had to I would put up a blue tarpolum outside and go that way! I am in my new shop now setting up a generic cleaning station and truing table!
Well here is another update:
Pulled more things out of my of my old shop. Things like tools, more totes full of parts, and other supplies. Organized a little bit, setup a little cleaning station for parts, hung some tools not hung, thinking of making a wooden frame to make shelves. Now I know I am gonna need somewhere to put tires and tubes, what a collection within the time I have had in the old shop lol. Anyways heres a couple more pictures....
Well it's been some time since I updated this post and there is some remodeling going. For the last week it's been cleaning out, adding to, etc. So when it's finished I'll post some newer pictures.
very very nice indeed Bill
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

03-05-2020, 04:06 AM
Last Post: Jesper

04-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Last Post: RobAR

03-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Last Post: RobAR