Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Newbe and some of my rides
Greetings from Oz.
This morning jumped back on a bike after 25 years, so decided to join this forum to get some ideas on new gear and share knowledge.
Here are my rides:
Old faithful road Abeni, Reynolds tubing, Campag Record purchased new in 1982.
Trek mtb 6500 with various Shimano gearing – parked in the garage since new.
Late addendum:
My latest 2009 Bianchi Via Nirone 7, with Ultegra groupset, also parked in the garage collecting dust until this morning.
Regards
John aka durum
Ride On!
Very nice bikes. Just like classic cars, there is something to be said about classic bikes. I'm guessing that the Abeni is just as light weight as some of the new road bikes of today. The Trek doesn't look that old, having disc brakes on it. What year is the Trek?
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
(05-08-2011, 07:19 AM)JohnV Wrote:  ... What year is the Trek?
Hi JohnV,
This is a 2005 model, but has never hit the road/bush..
cheers
Ride On!
When did you post the photo of the Bianchi? It wasn't there when I post. That is a super nice bike. Of course, being Italian, I am partial to Italian road bikes. I guess that is why I bought a road bike made in Taiwan; Smile I ride a Giant Defy. There are lots of bike shops here in my area that carry Italian bikes, but the problem is that many of them don't stock a full line and you have to buy from what little they have in stock because they are not their primary line of bikes.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
Hi JohnV,
As I was uploading photos, I realised that I didn’t have a pic of the Bianchi, so I took my camera out and ran in the garage and took a shot …… and uploaded the pic, after your post….. 
cheers
Ride On!
Like them down tube shifters are they friction only.So folks don't like friction shifters but I so do to me they shift so much better. But I am a little set in my ways.:-) On my Nashbar build I did I put on friction shifters only for both front and rear shifters.It ride so nice and shift nice too. It's almost like glass love it too.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
(05-08-2011, 01:58 PM)Surly LHT Wrote:  Like them down tube shifters are they friction only.So folks don't like friction shifters ...... It's almost like glass love it too.

They still work perfectly after so many years...
Ride On!
Very nice set of bikes. Can't help but asked if the ABENI is a "tall person" bike? Might be my eyes lol.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!